'30's Mopar flathead identification

Hi.. i Have a small problem. I have this '38 Dodge Truck 3/4 ton or 1 ton.. I'm not quite sure. I think that it's a 3/4 ton.. Wheelbase is 136" .

But, the engine is the problem. The car(chassis) has been assembled in UK in 1938. The engine is the bigger six. (Chrysler or DeSoto). I'm not quite sure did they offer this engine to other Dodge Trucks in US?

I guess it would be easy to identify engine from engine number, but in this engine, the number is gone (from the drivers side near generator).. Is there any other places where I could look for this number?

What engines did Chrysler corp. offer in '38..?

Can anyone help?

thanks! 1938moottori.jpg

Guest brian

Hi Mika:

It's very likely that your engine is Canadian production. All Canadian flat heads were based on the long block (Chrysler & DeSoto only in the U.S.). For Canadian Plymouth, Dodge and small trucks the big block bore was 3.375" with varying stroke lengths. As the truck was U.K assembled it most likely came from Canada as there was a preferential duty system in place for products from the British Commonwealth.

Sorry I can't help with a possible location for another number on the engine.

• 1 month later...

Mika:

I recently talked to a retired RCMP officer who knew members of the stolen car detail. He said they had a method of being able to bring up ground off serial numbers - especially if there was no new number stamped over. He suggested you ask you local police department if they can help you.

Your engine block must have left the factory with a serial number stamped on it, so maybe it can be restored.

Brian