Dash Mat

89REATTAJIM

Rec'd dash mat today from Mr Eaton. Looks & fits really great. Only issue I have is the velcro tape that attaches to the dash to hold mat in place. Concerned that tape might leave marks if/when removed. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you, Barney, for prompt handling. smile.gif

Jim

Guest waxbgone

There must be a run on them. I just received 2 of them today, also, and I love them too. They fit beautifully and are very professionally made. Thanks, Barney.

My experience with the goo on the back of the velcro is that it is more trouble getting it to stick than with removal. The glue just kinda "rolls up" into a ball and comes off.

Thanks for your post 89reattajim. I had an problem with my dash cover ordered

from global-accessories.com.(post 6-14-05). Poor fit & openings misplaced. I

discussed this with Barney and was hesitant in ordering again. With your post,

I will contact him today for a new dash cover. Thanks.

I had my original dash cover(maker unknown & perfect fit) on for 10 years and

altho' the old velcro came off, there is still residue stick-um that I have yet

be able to completely remove without damage to the dash... using alcohol and

De-Solv-it. Perhaps if you change the velcro every so often the stick-um would

not harden as mine has. My '89 has been without a garage and parked in the hot

Florida sun for 5 of the 10 years. Regards.

Dash Mats...... because I sell them and live in the Texas sun, I have them on all my cars. Just put one on the new Rendezvous. None of us wants to put velcro on the dash of our collectable car. First step... push the dash mat forward into the intersection of the dash and windshield. Most of the time this is all that is required to hold it in place. Start by positioning it then start in the center and push it forward (near the windshield)...work your way to the corners.

Fit....these things come rolled up in a box and when you lay them on the dash, they seldom look correct. Note the areas that it doesn't lay correctly. Remove it from the dash and steam the area with a steam iron. Don't touch the iron to the material just heat it with steam...then form it in the direction needed. My Rendezvous looked really bad on first installation, 10 minutes of steaming and fitting and it fits like a charm.

If the dash mat will not stay in position after trying step one above, you may need to anchor it...... I use scraps of plastic. Find a piece of flat plastic, (the clear stuff from a blister pack works well) cut a strip 1 inch wide by 4-5 inches long. With the wifes hair dryer, form a hook on one end that will fit into the defroster vent. Once you get the plastic formed to the shape you want...and it lays flat on the dash, attach the velcro to the plastic strip, then install the dash mat. You may need one strip on each end of the defroster vent.

Florida Buick meeting in Febuary.

The BCA board has been invited to have a meeting in Central Florida. The date has been set at Feb 24-25. The exact location has not been announced but it is supposed to be in the Kissimmee area. The local club is responsible for the arrangements and the actual board meeting is always on Saturday.

If there is enough Reatta interest we could get together. Since the local Buick club will have activities planned for the board on Friday evening and all day Saturday, we would need to work around them. Friday we have a tour of the Baker Press (the company that prints the Bugle) Thursday evening or Sunday morning would work for me. I can arrive on Thursday and leave Sunday afternoon. I would love to meet you Florida Reatta owners and see your cars.

I will post the hotel when it is established, this will give you an idea of the exact location.

Have been using WD-40 since mid 70's to remove glue and other types of sticky substances from all types of material, have found WD will not harm dashboards and other hard surface interior pcs, usually purchase by the gal. about 10 to 12 bucks at any big box hdwe outlet........a good industrial spray bottle will cost about 6 bucks,cheaper sprayers leak. On the really stubborn jobs may have to repeat several times. cool.gif

There is a product called "Goo Gone" An amber colored fluid in a clear plastic 8 - 10 ounce bottle. Used for removing adhesives and other sticky stuff. What ever you do don't confuse it with a product called "Goof Off" This stuff will melt/eat most plastics and you'll be sorry you ever tried it. Works great for removing paint from solid surfaces though.

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also note that my garage does not look like Chuck Parry's </div></div> But you are working on it?