Has anyone used POR 15??

Rolf

To repair decayed, cracked and crumbling plastic knobs and steering wheels, like this one off my '41) etc?? I just ordered some, and would like to hear from someone who has already used it to enhance my success, thanks a lot, Rolf

Hi Rolf. Ive used it for fixing just about everything, but for the steering wheel you will want to get the por 15 that comes in a tube, its the same as their paint but very thick. It will harden harder than the plastic on the steering wheel so take some wax and make a mold to set it in then squeeze the por 15 into the crack you will have less to sand, you will have a little filling to do from the air bubbles but not much. It holds up and takes primer and paint very well too.

Thank you very much, the style I ordered was a 1 lb quantity which I haven't received yet. I assumed it comes with a hardener like Bondo, but if you can put it on directly out of a tube, that would be a whole lot easier, will report back after I try it, thanks again, Rolf

What you ordered is a 2 part epoxy putty, it comes in two sticks (part A & B) tear off equal parts and mix together like clay, works very good on filling holes and is very sandable, I didnt try this on a steering wheel because they sit right there in the sun and expand and contract and I dont think the putty will expand at the same rate as the plastic and after painting it will end up cracking eventually. Thats why I would recommend the thick por 15 in the tube as it will contract and expand with the temperatures. The putty works great for extra holes that have been drilled in the body, just mix it up and fill the hole then sand both sides and paint and you will never know thewre was a hole.

Ive used it on 3 cars, the first one being 6 years ago and it has not cracked yet, alot faster and cheaper than welding holes.

I have been away from this activity for a long time, but a long time ago I worked as a body man next to an older guy who used to be a lead slinger back before WW2, he was known as "4 stick Lynn" because of his ability to apply lead holding 4 sticks at once, his favorite saying when we were working side by side in a Ford Dealer in Monterey was, "If your not using bondo, you are working too hard", but I learned a bunch of valuable tricks from him for sure, just as I am now going to learn about POR, thanks so much for your insights, Rolf