From Hemmings' Muscle Machines -- Holy Grail of Buick Muscle

Centurion

Last night, I thumbed through a copy of the August, 2005 issue of Hemmings' Muscle Machines. When I saw the article covering Brad Conley's '70 GSX "Prototype" and John Chamberlain's '70 GS Stage 1 show car, I knew this issue was a keeper.

The article reports in detail the history of these two one-off Buicks built for the auto shows. Many of us have seen Brad's remarkable '70 GSX, but I was previously unaware of Chamberlain's Fireglow Stage 1. It is fascinating that these cars were built as identical cars -- one immediately following the other -- in September, 1969. Both cars were significantly modified for the auto show circuit, and both were ultimately acquired by Len Immke Buick of Columbus, Ohio, with instructions from Buick that the vehicles were never to be sold. Both cars were apparently sold by zealous salesmen shortly thereafter.

Brad, I know that you post here on occasion. Can you comment on the statement that these well-optioned Stage 1 coupes originally stickered for $3,372? This seems too low to me, although I've not researched the original pricing for these cars.

The Len Immke Buick connection is quite interesting. If I am not mistaken, Len Immke has died, but left behind a significant collection of cars that I assume has remained intact. Among the cars in the Immke collection -- to the best of my knowledge -- is the beautiful, Burnished Cinnamon '71 Centurion convertible that received a body off restoration by former owner, John Weber. Smartin, I hope that you will someday have opportunity to see this car, which I would confidently assert is the finest, restored '71 Centurion in existence. (I have a few photos that I will send you.) Brad, I believe that you have confirmed previously that your Hunter Green '72 Centurion convertible is another former John Weber car, and I had understood that it was to be the next candidate for full restoration before John liquidated his Centurion collection.

Brian,

What caught my eye was how much Brad paid for the special GSX years ago. Wasn't it something like $1800 or some obscenely low amount? I don't have the copy in front of me but I read the article. The red car did not seem to me to be anything super special. Can you even drive it with the white interior? I tried to read through the lines and understand why it was a show car but other then the special color, interior and non tinted glass, I could not see why i would pay a premium price over a 455 Stage 1 car. Of course, that was the pinnacle of Buick muscle development so it was just nice to see HMM cover Buicks.

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

1949 Buick Roadmaster

1968 Riviera

1973 Centurion

1986 Century GS

Thanks for the kind words Brian as they are much appreciated. Yes, I paid $1850 for the GSX "Prototype" in 1978 from a good friend of mine whom is today, believe it or not, still a very good friend. I had to borrow something like $2200 or so, as the car needed tires in the worst way. My payment was a little over $78.00 per month for 3 years and being a student and working part-time at Kroger's, I really had no idea how I was going to make those monthly payments. Kind of funny today, but believe me, it was not at the time.

Brian, the INVOICE was the $3372 figure, not the sticker price. The sticker would have been much closer to $4000 or so. I never really did a look-up for the exact sticker price for my car. That would prove interesting, I'm sure.

If you enjoyed the article in Hemmings, you will also enjoy the feature that was shot in Bowling Green for My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. It should air sometime next season, but I do not know exactly when. That was a real interesting experience, for sure. Mr. Gage was VERY nice and professional, making me feel at ease while the feature was shot. While I deal with people everyday, shooting a TV feature is something I had no experience with. Mr. Gage was very helpful in this regard, actually making it fun.

Concerning the Centurion I own, yes it was John's car at one point. I have not restored the car at all, preferring to leave the car a nice original that I'm not afraid to take the kids to Dairy Queen in. It fills that need perfectly and really is a joy to drive. The 71 model you spoke of is a beautiful automobile that I have seen on several occasions. Words cannot do it justice.

Thanks again for you kind words.

Brad

Brad, thank you for your reply. I appreciate that you've clarified the price issue for the '70 Stage 1 hardtop. More than that, I'm thankful that you've been a faithful caretaker for your great piece of Buick history.

Please keep us posted regarding the broadcast date for the "My Classic Car" feature. Many of us will be excited to watch.