EBay Etiquette

I have a question. A few weeks back I notice a car on EBay that I had once driven/inspected to buy. Unless major work had been done to the car, the seller was clearly not describing the car accurately. I thought to ask the seller specific questions (i.e. how is the frame rust?) but ultimately choose to stay neutral. My question is what has other club members done in the past? I?m not sure there is a right or wrong, but ?buyer beware? seem a little cold sometimes.

Guest my3buicks

I have in the past hit the "seller" up with specific questions if I knew the description to be false - I have also posted on this forum and the V8 Buick forum a warning if there is false or questionable info listed. I figure if I was looking at buying a car on ebay (which I have done more than once) I would hope a fellow Buick person would point out a "rat".

Guest imported_widomski

Ask the specific questions and check out the pictures carefully. If you see the dash but not the whole front seat, assume the seats bad. Also, one person's excellent condition is another's fair. It's your money so you have the right to question. I have purchased 5 cars on ebay and don't feel I have been burnt yet. Knock on wood!! Can't say the same for some parts I have bought. you need to question those too.

Happy hunting.

just had this happen

local car dealer (van horn auto)

got in a few cars

a 65 special

67 chev impala

anyways a guy contacted me from the board knowing i was in plymouth and the car on ebay was as well

asked me to go look at it

the car was listed as original, very nice excellent chrome, original paint, and on and on

went there and the pot metal was pitted bad but showed up good on the ebay pictures

car was originaly white and was flaking everywhere like a quik paint job

motor was a 300 and was leaking oil on the ground by starting it up

tranny slipped

only one rear brake worked

rear bumper rusted threw

as you see car was far from what they stated

right there i floored him

told him i was looking at the car for the buick collector board and they better change the discription at once to what it realy is

guy kind of brushed me off

went back to the v8buick forum

this one as well and listed everything

it was remarkable that the people bidding on this car where all from both of those forums

they did not recieve another bid after that and they did change the discription on ebay as well

when they relisted it

i figure we are all in this together

if you see something wrong jump in and let everyone know

you might need that help as well some day

my 2 cents

Greg

I bought my car through an ebay ad, decided it was worth my time to go see the car in person,[800 mile round trip] I figured a couple hundred bucks is a good investment if your going to spend your hard earned thousands, was'nt disappointed in the car and bought it outright when the winning bidder backed out on his bid, saved two thousand for being patient to, was able to deal with the seller when he called to see if I was still interested in the car.

Don Young

BCA#40498

1947 56C