Question about 1973 Buick Estate Wagon

73Buick

We are considering selling our 1973 Buick Estate Wagon, however we have no idea what type of dollar figure would even be attached to such a vehicle.

It has 130 thousand mile on 455/4 barrel, turbo 400 trans. White/wood grain trim and dark tan int. PB, PS/tilt, PW, PS driver, P calm shell rear end, CC, climate control, AC, rear window defog, fog lights, fold down rear bench, under floor storage, 8 track/am stereo. New twin exhaust/twin turbo mufflers. New air stocks in back. One family car from day one. Spent winters in California till late 80?s stored indoors through winters and used 2-4 weeks in summer up to 92, then put away till 01 when again it was used 2-4 weeks in the summer. Safetied.

If anyone can help us out - or point us in right direction that would be great. We have been searching the web etc for a few months but nothing comparable has come up.

Guest Shaffer

Wow... very nice wagon. Most of the "long timers" here know I have been looking for one of these for a long time myself, but never have been able to locate one locally. I would be very interested in the car, but I have all of my "old car funds" tied up in my 73' Pontiac Grand Ville and 69' Chevrolet Caprice.

This is a very nice color combination on your car. It also appears to be a very high optioned car- which makes it more desirable for "clamshell" wagon fans. I do not think you mentioned it- but does it have the 3rd seat option? There is some collector interest for these wagons, but be careful on the pricing if you do not want to see the car destroyed, because these cars are also fans of the demolition derby drivers- many of which would not hesitate to crash the car to bits- which is very sad.

I have seen these cars on E-Bay before at a wide range of pricing. I have seen one this nice sell as low as $1500, up to about $3500. The Chevrolet wagons of this body style seem to command higher prices.

Another thing to determine the value is rust- how about the undercarriage (floors, frame, and spare tire wheel well)? Is it good and solid? I would say if you put it on E-Bay, that $2000 would be a good starting price for it, to get it out of derby range. We would need to see more photos (interior and exterior) to help a little more on the pricing, but from what I can tell, I would not take no less than $2000 if it runs good.

I am going to provide some links of some current clamshell wagons (71-76 GM wagons) currently on E-Bay. Perhaps this will help a bit.

76' Chevrolet Caprice Estate - loaded and like new:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...ssPageName=WDVW

72' Chevrolet Impala wagon - also high optioned:

74' Chevrolet Caprice Estate -

72' Pontiac Safari -

73' Pontiac Grand Safari -

76' Pontiac Grand Safari -

There are usually some Buick and Oldsmobile wagons of this vintage on E-bay, but just not now.

Good luck! It is a nice car!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

No problem. The photo answered my question about the 3rd seat. From the looks of the photo, it appears to be a 2-seat (6-passenger) model, because I do not see the split on the back seat back. The 3-seat (8-passenger) models had a split on the back seat so the seat can be raised up for 3rd seat access. I know of a lot of wagon fans in Canada- so I will tell them about it.

I would not let it go for less than $2000. Anything priced less than that could be future derby material. They will often pay up to $1500 just for a solid body.

Good luck!

Guest Shaffer

No problem. I spoke to the folks on the wagon site and they said that $2500 should not be a problem on this car. A lot of the members on the forum are in Canada and several were boasting about the car. Several mentioned how rare it was to find a car this solid up in Canada.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry I have not got back to you. But the car is in Winnipeg Manitoba Can.

I still have it, not alot of action on it up here. </div></div>

I've been away and haven't been following this thread closely...while I don't know these Buicks well, if you want to talk to someone locally, just let me know...I'm in the book. I have a good friend (and another member of this site) who has an early 70s Riviera.

I haven't been able to convince the wife that a wagon would be a good thing (I like some of them from the 50s as I wouldn't be able to get a woodie), so I can't take it off your hands.

Have you checked the various price guides? The December Old Cars Price Guide lists a '73 LeSabre Custom Estate Wagon as #3 - $2880, #2 - 5040. Canadian prices tend to be straight across the board (i.e. no exchange conversion). You also need to keep in mind that you are in Wholesale Manitoba.

Good luck with it.

Guest Shaffer

You should buy it. Its only money. smile.gif

I really do hope it goes to a good home. Too many of these cars have already been destroyed. frown.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Money isn't the issue...I already have more Buicks than I can store...and my wife isn't a big fan of wagons. Oh well.

Guest Shaffer

Then give me the money and I will buy and store it. grin.gif

I really do not have the room either, but I am such fan of these wagons that I would park it somewhere. smile.gif