Where to get piston rings?

Guest c.johnson

Guest c.johnson

Ok, here is a good one..

I need rings for the Oakland. Tried Egg; they don't do rings, only pistons.

Tried Vintage auto parts: they don't have the right size (2.8" bore X .186 thick ring) and don't know where or how to go....

Any others out there that I'm not thinking of before I pay an arm & a leg to have someone "make them special order?"

Thanks,

Guest carlnut50

Find an old auto parts store that still has the catalogs.Perfect circle rings used to have a book that listed rings by size and type.I ordered all the time for hit & miss engines.It is ok to put 2 rings per groove if wide rings are not available.Hope this helps.

Guest c.johnson

Yes, I had the same idea about finding a parts supplier. I've tried a few auto parts and motorcycle parts supplier, but they don't want to take the extra time to look it up. frown.gifmad.gif They just don't seem to want to go the extra mile now days. I guess that's life in the big city.

A friend has an old friend at parts place in a smaller town, maybe he will want to take some time for an old car. I'll give him a try.

Hastings is one I should have remebered. They were good to work with in the past.

Thanks all

Guest c.johnson

Not yet. I am going to check out the friends "outpost auto parts" store this weekend - hoping (maybe dreaming) I can find something semi-locally first. Then start on the out of State referals.

Thanks George.

Guest imported_PWN

PISTON rings: pistons built up, oversized and ground; Hemmings' advertiser for over 20 years. Vintage Engine Machine Works, N 604 Freya, Spokane, WA 99202, PH: 800-233-6934.

The owner is very nice and responsive. May have what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest etolen

Please keep us informed of where you are finally able to locate the rings. I may need some for my '25 Oakland 6-54B.

Thanks,

Ed

Guest c.johnson

Update:

Called Hastings; again the question: "Do you have a part number?" Well, I looked it up in your on-line catalog, but I have questions about the part. "I'll have to connect you to an engineer" Message left for engineer 3 days ago (Friday 24 June) - still no call back. It's frusterating when the person answering the phone has no knowledge about the products that they sell, and are only there to take your money mad.gifmad.gif

Called Vintage Engine machine in WA; Left the all the spec's yesterday & they will call back.

ED; Hopefully you won't have trouble with your '25. At least your bore is larger, and rings should be closer to modern specs. But best of luck anyway.... grin.gif

FYI: Saw my first Oakland besides my own at the Smithsonian transportation exhibit last week. It is a '28 sedan (COOL!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Called Hastings; again the question: "Do you have a part number?" Well, I looked it up in your on-line catalog, but I have questions about the part. "I'll have to connect you to an engineer" </div></div>

Try 800-776-1088 ext 1244 or ext 1359. Either Dawn or Jim in technical service should be able to help.

Guest c.johnson

SOOOO JT, do you work down the hall from Jim or what??? grin.gifgrin.gif

I called Jim, he said he spoke to you a just a few minutes ago. Yeah, he is great - it really is great to find someone who knows how to [color:\\"red\\"] solve problems these days. Ordered 6 oil rings - something improved upon from 1920. The rest of the rings look great, less than 4k miles on the engine. Good prices too..

Thanks JT!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SOOOO JT, do you work down the hall from Jim or what???

</div></div>

Ha, you would think so but it was just some good timing smile.gif

Glad they could help you. Both Jim and Dawn have been there for years, know their stuff and enjoy helping. A very nice company to deal with.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c.johnson

Got the oil rings from Thursday from Hastings - they look great, just like I wanted. It is one of those things that I wish they could be seen to be appreciated....