Buick Club of America Pre-War Division

Peter Gariepy

The BCA Pre-War Division was officially created by the Buick Club of America (BCA) Board of Directors at the July 2005 BCA National Meet in Batavia N.Y.

The Buick Club of America Pre-War Division (PWD) was created for BCA members with Buicks built prior to World War II. The founders of the PWD were concerned about the lack of BCA participation with prewar cars. This is because they had experienced most BCA tours and activities had been designed for the faster post-World War II cars. The PWD encourages tours and activities designed to restore these older, slower Buicks to the ranks of BCA touring cars. Some BCA chapters as well as the Buick Driving Enthusiasts have already been doing this, and the PWD will serve to further encourage participation with prewar cars.

The PWD is almost entirely Internet based. The internet provides a BCA-approved forum for pre-war Buick owners to post activities, photos, and get advice from other members; so there are no formal PWD meetings other than at BCA National Meets. The PWD does not publish a hard-copy newsletter; instead we send our newsletters via email.

The PWD works within existing BCA chapters to increase membership and participation with pre-war Buicks. Without the cost of publishing and mailing a hard-copy newsletter, the PWD does not require dues. So membership in the PWD is free. The only requirement for PWD membership is membership in the BCA. Membership in a local BCA chapter is also strongly encouraged.

The Pre-War Division currently has three officers:

Director: Mark Shaw, durcodude@comcast.net

Publicity Chairman: Jack Gerstkemper, bgerst7@aol.com

Membership Chairman: Dave Ebert, dle38@comcast.net

To join, just email your BCA number, snail mail & email addresses with a photo of your car(s) to Dave Ebert. You can’t beat the price: It is free to all BCA members. Our goal is to get more pre-war Buick owners into the BCA where they belong and get more pre-war Buicks out on the road where they belong.

Pre-war Buicks were meant to be driven, too!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm Steve Davis, in Oklahoma, and I have a 23 tourer, a 23 roadster, and a 23 7 passenger sedan. I'm looking for a 26 Master 4 dr sedan, but might buy just about any 26, 27, or 25. Well, rather than lie, there's no telling what I'll actually get next, but those are in my mind. I hope to make contact with those of you familiar with the 23s. I'm having to learn how to make them run all by my lonesome, but I'm making progress, and loving it! I'd like to hear from those interested in taking me under your wing. Bless all of you!

Hawkeye,

Welcome aboard! Just yesterday, Jack Gerstemper and I went to look and photograph a 27 rumble seat coupe for sale in #4 condition in Camas WA. I can send you photos if you like. There are three 23 Buicks in the Vancouver WA area. Two are owned by Pre-War Buick officers.

Mark Shaw

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest harry

I have a 1940 Buick Super, Model 51. The paint code is 551, which I think is Silver French Gray Poly. on the upper and Monterey Blue Poly. on the lower. Is this correct?

The Trim Code is 810. Does anybody know what this is?

Guest harry

Sorry, I posted my previous reply in the wrong thread. You may delete it. I posted it in the correct thread. Harry

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmmm..guess my 1940 Special qualifies (though it was made into a street rod before I bought it) as a pre-war (but just barely by one year..lol)

Ray

BCA #42576

• 3 months later...
Guest alfonso

i have a complete 36 buick coupe running restored chassis with original drivetrain

and looking for coupe body for the frame and do not know what is compatible for the year

or if there new steel out there or fiber pieces can use help with manuals and links

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I am brand new to this website, and am not exactly sure who I should be writing to, but wanted to post something that I have for sale that someone might be interested in.

I have a dealer catalog in excellent condition from 1941 showing all the buick models inside and out. Also specifications etc. This is particularly special since that is the year that I was born. Very exciting to look at.

Perhaps whoever is reading this could direct me to the right place to be posting such a thing. My email address is bimjales@hotmail.com.

Sincerely, Jim Bales

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dick beckley

Hello:

I'm just finishing up a 1937 Roadmaster 80C Convertible which I hope to show at Hershey this fall, and at a BCA national whenever it comes back to the east.

I'm wondering if any of the readers on this site know anything about the reorganization of the 37-38 Buick Club, which I understand basically ceased to operate about a year ago. I've heard stories why it happened, and also stories that it is being revived. Just wondering if anyone had any news. I haven't had a publication from them in over a year and a half.

Dick Beckley

BCA 7896

dbeckley@epix.net

Dick,

Welcome!

I sent your PWD membership request to our membership chairman Dave Ebert Sr. I am sure he will email you soon.

I have also sent a copy of your 37-38 Buick inquiry to Joe Suarez. I believe Joe will be able to fill you in on what is going on with the 37-38 Buick organization.

I look forward to seeing you and your car in Flint this year. Have you signed up for the PWD AfterTour?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new pre-war forum member as of today. I own an all-original 1929 Buick Model 27 4-door. Just bought THAT yesterday. Long-time member of the BCA (#2500) and recently sold my business, Factory Automanuals. I've been nosing around for an early ORIGINAL Buick--found it sooner than expected.

I will read entries here often, and will draw on expertise when I know what questions to ask. See you at Flint 2008!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to Mark S and fellow Buick Pre-WII owners. Im coming into a 1928 Buick Sedan - intact - but will need substantial work. I have a few questions that you might be able to answer to get me moving in the right direction. On conversions - electrical (6-12 v), brakes (always nice to have modern working system), keeping the straight 6cyl overhead value engine - at least my goal - Any recommended sources for engine rebuild kit,etc.?

Ron

Hello to All,

Don't know if the first attempt tot post made it. Interested in picking your brains....28 4-dr Sedan (straight 6 cyl. overhead value w/3 speed man trans) undertaking to acquire & restore. Would like to keep orginal engine - rebuild - and do brake conversion or upgrade. Electrical upgrade, too. Your suggestions and recommendatins to sources of parts, etc. most appreciated as I begin this journey. On a mechanical ability scale 0-10, I m about 2.5 - 3.5 on a good day provided I have the time. Will have friendly mechanic manage while I hand him the wrenches.

Ron

Ron,

Welcome to the group. I suggest you post some photos of your car, brakes, wiring, etc before you decide to make changes. The mechanical brakes work fine if they are not too badly worn and adjusted properly. The wiring harness is available through several sources. I suggest you keep the original six volt system to save much time and work.

Try posting a little further down the forum list next time. You will probably get more responses.

• 1 month later...

Dan, just saw your post about your "new" Buick. Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing it at one of our Buicktown Chapter summer meetings. My '41 is in the process of a total restoration. Hope to have it back for the 2009 touring season.

Dave L.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am wondering if you can possibly help me. I found a car in my tree grove this year and my husband wants to send it to the junk yard. I really am not sure what it is but it looks like someone could probably make good use out of this antique I would hate to just throw it away. Could you look at some pics and tell me what u think and if someone would be interested in it? Here is some info off the car

Fisher Body Corp

Detroit Mich

Job NO 10781

Model NO 26-27

Buick

885-986 Apr 28, 08

876-225 June 11, 01

921-963 May 19, 09

Abby, replied to you in the other topic area, but will do so here also.

Do not let your hubby get too quick to call the tow truck for the junk yard. You have a 1926 model 27. I have attached a picture from a quick Google search. Post a couple of pictures and we can tell you its approximate value for parts or a complete car.

We await more information/pictures. John

post-48480-143138066243_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest arbys

Am I missing something? I've been away for a couple of months and upon returning to the Pre War Buicks it has a new look. Is there a way to overview the posts and then open the ones that interest me? The way I see it now I have to scroll thru all the posts or view a Windows type drop down.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Jeffrey17

I am new, with a mostly unmolested 1937 47. All but two others (Model A & AA) of my projects are foreign (all English plus 2 SAABs), so I have much to learn about Buicks. I have the shop manual but it is woefully bare of such useful information as how to remove the hood! Is there a more comprehensive manual? I have seen a reference to a 1928-42 master chassis parts manual, but at roughly $100 I didn't want to buy it if it was not fairly thorough. Any pointers would be most appreciated!

Guest Jeffrey17

Addendum to my last post: According to an entry on my page, which said "Welcome, Jeffrey17" "You last visited: December 31st, 1969 at 23:00." If any of you have been wondering where I have been for the past 40 years, this statistic is NOT about me. Indeed, as a relatively longtime user of tools computational (since 1972) I am quite sure this forum did not exist in 1969! Seriously, I am indeed new here, so pls treat this newbie, although old in years, with compassion.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeffery17, I cannot speak specifically about the 1937 Shop Manual, but my '36 Shop Manual certainly describes the hood removal process. Are you sure you didn't over look it? The '28-42 manuals you are seeing are for identification of component parts and corresponding Buick part numbers only. No maintenance instructions. Newbies are welcomed with open arms! In my opinion we are all newbies on some level with different Buick years and models.

Jeffery 17,

I have sent you a PM about the hood removal. If what I sent doens't meet your needs I suggest you make a seperate individual new subject post in the Buick pre-war forum with a subject line like "37 hood removal question" It should get more hits and responses that way than under this general post about the pre-war division. But I hope what I sent will help.

Brian

• 9 months later...
Guest tom pre

hi folks, boy i dont like computers but heregoes. i just got a 24 45 . a question ? the water return pipe on the top of the 6 cyl. has been patched & patched. i think it should be replaced. can i find one or do i have to make it ? thanks tom pre

Tom, re your water return piping. I have not seen many, if any, survive. Most are have them made. There is a taper to them (larger in front, smaller in back) also, and i have been told that this is very important, why, I do not know. I would certainly take yours to a good fabricator in your area to get yours repaired or rebuilt.