1955 Buick Special

Louis12306

I am having a problem, when I shift into drive the car acts like it does not want to move and starts moving very slowly and the engine races, then I hear loud clunks from under the car, after that the car drives normally untill I stop again. The car has a dynaflow automatic transmision and a 264 engine. any information would be helpful.

thank you

Guest imported_NikeAjax

It sounds to me like you're not getting any ATF where it needs to be to get the car moving. I would suggest pulling the pan on the tranny and seeing if your filter is clogged; also drain the torque converter, there are two plugs on the front that will let you drainn it. Try putting in a tranny sealer too, you may have hardened seals and the fluid is leaking past the places where you need pressure.

Try that, and if you have any more questions, I will try to help,

Jaybird

Thank you for the info. I will do that tomorrow, only things I need to know is if I will need a new gasket for the transmission pan and if I can turn the torqe converter with my hand to get the drain plugs to the bottom. Thank you.

I'm certain you'll need a new pan gasket, but I doubt you can turn the torque converter by hand. You should be able to turn the torque converter by rotating the engine via the harmonic balancer bolt or by pivoting a prybar in the flywheel teeth and against the tranny casing

JD

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Never try to reuse a pan gasket, some gaskets you can, but this is one application that it's way more trouble than it's worth. I usually cut my own using an Xacto knife and a razor blade.

Good luck,

Jaybird

Hello, today drained the pan and removed it and also drained the torque converter. The screen was very dirty and gummed up and the fluid was a very dark red and was thick. Now I have to wait until thursday for the pan gasket to arrive. I hope this helps my transmission.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Yikes! It sounds as if you got it just in time: good!

You should use Mercon/Dexron-III (doesn't that sound like one of the places that Captain Kirk should have vistited?) Don't stress too much on the brand, I think it's API certified that is the important thing; some people will tell you stories about this and that happening if you use a certain brand; hmm?

Jaybird

Actually, the correct, originally specified transmission fluid for 1955 is Type A transmission fluid. It is not available in many places, but I have found that if you go to a convenience store or grocery in an older (economically deprived) neighborhood, where the residents tend to drive old, leaky cars, these stores stock Type A transmission fluid, and it is usually quite inexpensive.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I would be best to use the current Dexron/Mercon fluids that are backward compatible with the old type A. Would you use the cheap no name non-degergent oil sitting on the shelf next to it? Only in an emergency. The old oils are inferior to the modern counterparts.

I am having a Dynaflow rebuilt now and when I mentioned type A, I though the rebuilder was going to have a seizure. I then recieved a 30 minute lecture from a nice 75 year old gentleman....so I am passing on a short version.

Willie

Difference in Type F and Dexron fluids is the friction characteristics of the fluid upon initial clutch/band apply, not the viscosity of the fluids.

To date, there have been Dexron, Dexron II, Dexron IIE, Dexron III, Dexron III H-Spec, and . . . . ta daaa . . . . now Dexron VI (which became factory fill for the new 6-speed automatic in April). ALL are backward compatible with the earlier versions of Dexron too!!! The Dexron III that corresponds to Mercon, does not work where the specific Mercon V fluid is used.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Hello, did everything and the car still acts the same way just now the clunking is almost gone. it still has a hard time moving, If I start out in 2nd and shift it to Drive when I get up to 30MPH it is almost normal driving it, but even then it still starts off slower than it should. I also checked the rear end oil and it was down so I filled it, also I made sure none of the brakes were sticking. Any advice would help alot.

Thank you!