1954 Roadmaster Convertible in "Hemming's Classic Car"

Centurion

I received the July issue of Hemming's Classic Car magazine over the weekend, and enjoyed reading the article that covered the full, body-off restoration of a beautiful '54 Roadmaster convertible.

When I first opened to the article, I assumed that the subject car was the same one recently offered on Ebay, as shown below:

21_12_sb.JPG

Although the exterior paint color appears to be the same, the car featured in the Hemmings article is clearly a different vehicle that underwent a painstaking and far more comprehensive 10-year restoration effort. The article describes the restoration process in great detail. Owned by a Dr. Tim Larkin, the car is to be displayed and judged this summer at the BCA National in Batavia. Those of you who are fortunate enough to attend the National will be treated to an incredible '54 Roadmaster. The rest of you may want to pick up the magazine when it hits the newsstands.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Brian,

I too "enjoyed" that article. I'm pretty certain it is the same car that was in Flint in 03. I tried to swing buying the one on ebay but didn't quite make it. I would have had to sell all my Rivieras to have done so and I couldn't quite bring myself to that. The one on eBay has a few issues that while aren't that serious would take some $$ to correct. It originally had the same color roof as the Hemmings car. The interior of the Ebay car was red and white which is rather rare.

I'm still looking for a 54 Century convertible though.

Mr. Earl, I think you're correct about the car being in Flint, and I'm guessing that it's the car in this photo, second from the right:

IMG_0037.jpg

Now, here's an interesting anecdote. The '57 Caballero just beyond the Roadmaster convertible belongs to one of my friends in the North Cascade Chapter. His car was -- surprisingly -- the only '57 Caballero at the meet. We were discussing this fact with a couple of other chapter members this last Saturday morning, and it was mentioned by another member that the owner of a recently restored '54 convertible parked alongside kept expressing surprise that the Caballero was garnering so much more spectator attention than the cars around it, including his stunning convertible. This demonstrates the "drawing power" that a unique car or body style can generate in a show setting, despite the fact that the convertible is certainly the more valuable and desirable of the two cars.

Interesting comments... I guess I would think of it this way. Attendee's at these Buick events are predominantly Buick enthusiasts. Most would be familiar with the various makes and models up and down the lineage, perhaps more intimitely familiar with models near their own car's range (if they own a Buick). Convertibles, "sport models", muscle car versions and the like have always been the more sought after models, and their price usually reflects that. You'll see quite a few at any show. But then it comes down to human interest-- you see convertible after convertible, skylark after skylark, at a show and what draws attention sometimes? A nicely restored wagon. Or perhaps an interesting color combination on an otherwise plain 4 door sedan. Perhaps the little old couple sitting next to their unrestored, one owner, original sedan. Something different, something that appeals to your curiousity.

This is by no means any slight against the folks who have dropped some major bank to get their beautiful '49 Roadmaster Convertible ready for show... it's just that $$money$$ spent does not always mean you'll win the lion's share of interest, appeal and curiousity of the crowd.

Budd

(who usually glances at the beautiful cars on his way to the ugly ones to find out the story why they're there!)

Guest invicta592

I recently subscribed to the magazine, and this is the second issue I have recieved. I am very impressed with the magazine as a whole, and it is remarkable value for money. The 54 convertible indeed a beautiful car and I hope that one day I will be able to restore a car to similar condition.

I do find the tale of the "frustrated owner" amusing, as I have seen many owners of "money no object" cars seething with rage as my Invicta draws crowds like a magnet, while their's gets ignored. Of course, the Invicta is a rare car over here, and I guess the public can only see so many Jaguars, MG's and Triumphs before boredom sets in grin.gif

BTW, while I'm a Buick man deep down, I thought the 1959 Olds 98 Convert was particulary attractive too! and the Cord... and... Doh, I need more garage space!!!

Guest Skyking

Brian, this is the same car that was at Flint. It is owned by fellow BCA member Dr. Ken Laytin from Massachusetts. I've also seen the car at local Southern N.E. shows and spoke to Ken. It is a fine car indeed.