vin numbers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me the range of vin numbers for a 1932 chevy coupe? </div></div>

Well, for starters, in 1932, there was no such thing as a VIN number on any car. There were engine and chassis numbers, which generally do not match, and chassis numbers in 1932 tended to be stamped on the top flange of the frame rail, putting it underneath either the front fender/splash apron, or underneath the body, where it cannot be found save for removing the fender, splash apron or body. So, engine numbers were used up through 12/31/55 by all, or nearly all states in the US. After that, a serial number on the body, either firewall or driver's side A-pillar, until the VIN tag made its appearance.

Art

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you would specifically call it a VIN but both of my '32 Chevrolet cars have a plate on the right door sill that is a Chevrolet installed plate with a "car" number. These numbers appear on the titles as the VIN. Don't know what could be more specific. The engine number is not what appears as the "car" number. Don't have a clue as to the range of #. My '32 Coach is #21BA0420238; my coupe is 12BA0316519

21 = Janesville Wisconsin

BA = 1932 Model Confederate Series

04 - April 1932 assembly

20238 - sequential production number starting with # 1001

Coach = Fisher Body Job 32551

Janesville built 1,467 Chevrolets in November 1931 then 5,168 in December 1931

12 = Buffalo, New York

BA = as before

03 = March 1932 assembly

16519 = sequential number starting with # 1001

Fisher Job # 32557/ 32558 or 32567

Buffalo built 1,612 Chevrolets in November 1931 then 6,316 in December 1931

Look on my website [see signature]: it's all there! However others have the monthly production figures for each US Plant: I don't have that and have not needed it really.

• 8 years later...

Oracle I would LOVE to have the 32 Canadian production figures by model as i have a 1932 chevrolet deluxe sportsman roadster with the Body serial # blank and also the body job # blank.By your discription on serial # last being 581710 mine being 581403 engine # being 2332507 trim # being 58 and paint code being 1080 thankis wayner lave@cogeco.ca

• 3 weeks later...

1932 chevrolet engine numbers started with 2319372 and ended with 2333699. There was no such thing as a VIN number there were however engine numbers, serial numbers, body serial numbers in most cases but not all cases, there was also a job number in most cases but not all cases, there was a trim number and a paint number and usually a build place like in the Canadian 1932 chevrolet Oshawa Walkerville Regina but because of the recession all Roadsters and phaytons were made in OSHAWA. waydne laverdure

• 3 weeks later...

This subject is about early chevrolets not 1955 and newer ???? But someone will thank you for your information. I think anyone with an early chevy knows how to read their tag if they have one .It states on the tag serial number engine number trim paint code body number and body serial number and where the vehicle waqs made.Have a good day