The '29 Finds a New Home

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I think I have finally dried out and warmed up. It was an interesting day, dawning gray with intermittent showers. I picked up the rental trailer on time and picked up two friends who were willing to help out. I forgot my come-along, so happily John had remembered his. So here we have 3 guys driving a bit over an hour to get to the car. We get there and each of us pulls out a digital camera just so we can waste some time (it's not all wasted, but our day would have been shorter without so many photos). On closer inspection, there were a few spots where some paint was gone and there was a green colour underneath - this would make sense to be the original colour as the interior is green.

Anyway, they had a compressor there, so we pumped up the rear tires and they took air. As I went to position my truck / trailer, a heavy downpour started and hail came down for a few minutes. I was trying to back the trailer between a lamp post and a 1940 Studebaker and everyone had taken cover - with the heavy rain I couldn't see bugger all. In the end, I was able to get the trailer to a reasonable position and we moved the car on. My kingdom for a winch. Anyway, with chains, come-along, and a few blocks we were able to get the car on the trailer and tied down. We stopped once on the road to tighten things down, then a lunch break, and off to the new spot with the '52 Roadmaster and the '62 Invicta. By the time we got there the cloud had broken up and it was almost sunny. Unloading was uneventful. Then we went home and tried to dry off. All told just over 200 miles driving with a trailer on (probably 60% empty), the better part of an inch of rain, hail, and a few oohs and aahs.

Anyway, here are a few photos.

Car before it was loaded.

29front_passenger1.JPG

Entire rig as we stopped for lunch.

29loadedup3.JPG

The McLaughlin Buick hub cap.

29McLaughlin_hub7.JPG

Front quartering view of the three cars.

29stored_front11.JPG

Rear ends.

29stored_rear12.JPG

All's well that ends well. If everything goes as planned and the Wildcat is ready for the National in Rochester, then next summer / fall, I may be ready to start working on one of these babies. Actually, I will be going out to squirt some oil in the cylinders some time (fishing season starts next weekend, so who knows when that will actually happen).

Guest ewing

Just a great day, and what a car!

It was turning heads all along the way.

The down pour and the hail just makes for more stories to tell, and believe me the stories will get better with age...

btw, I think I left my rubber boots in the truck, ... they are the only things that stayed dry!

And back to the trailer yard so early? Gee we could have taken more pictures.

Cheers.

John

Guest imported_MrEarl

All I can say is it must be some damn good "FISHIN" up there to pull you away from that barn full of Buicks.

Love the car!!! What's the interior like?

Guest imported_Thriller

Lamar,

Yes, the fishing can be pretty good - we are in something of a fishing mecca where a 36" channel catfish is nice, but not a really big one, not to mention a great variety of species to fish from. The reality there is that the fishing is something I can do with the family, but the wrenching is a bit tougher with a 5 year old in tow. He loves the cars, but other than perhaps handing me tools, I don't know how much he can help yet.

The interior is in decent shape - the back seat has seen some mouse action - there is a photo in the original thread. Mohair all around - it looks to be original, but I am not a good judge of that. The interior is green and we have found some green paint underneath, so I suspect the green colour scheme is the original colour. The window curtains are in tatters, but things appear intact otherwise. Here are a few additional interior shots. There is wear in the driver's area, but I don't have a good shot of that.

29interior22.JPG

29front_seat8.JPG

29rear_interior9.JPG

Derek, excellent photos with a great story. That is a beautiful '29 Buick, so we'll be eager to hear the progress during the years ahead. In fact, I really like the garage photo with the '61, '52, and '29 all lined up. You are accumulating a fascinating collection of Buick iron!

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks - now all I need to do is actually make progress on a restoration instead of just taking photos smirk.gif

I got an e-mail with a few of the photos taken by one of the other guys.

Here's a better shot of the front seat.

29front_seat19.jpg

Here's a neat shot with a handful of hail picked up off the trailer.

29buick_hail_030.jpg

Finally, the three amigos...I am on the right, and the fellow on the left is Ewing.

29buick_guys_025.jpg