'66 Wildcat 4 Door!!! What am I thinking???

ol' yeller

I have the opportunity to pick up a '66 Wildcat 4 door for almost nothing. It needs paint, an engine rebuild (rings)and has a couple of minor rust issues. Seattle rust issues, not Chicago rust issues. It currently runs & drives, probably needs brakes and has sat under a tarp for 10 years. It is fairly straight and the interior is OK. the glass is all intact except for a cracked windshield. Every Buick I have bought started out as a car just to bomb around in and turned out to be frame off restorations. This one I hope to do differently. The only problem is that it is a 4 door, so I know that it won't be worth a lot when finished. My plan would be to avoid the expensive restorations my '69 Riviera and '65 Skylark underwent and just make this one pretty. I can do the body work myself and could get a cheapie paint job at Maaco. The engine could be replaced with a good runner or I could even do a quickie rebuild myself. I know I will probably get myself upside down on this one as well as the others, but I think I can keep the cost down. Is this car worth saving? Can I get parts for it like weatherstripping and interior upholstery? I would appreciate hearing your opinions. It seems like too nice a car to crush or part out, especially when you consider the price. Maybe I really can save all the Buicks myself..... confused.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I don't know if you can save all the Buicks yourself. While the four door may not hold as much value as other models, it is still a neat car. Engine parts are available. I believe weatherstripping should be available as well, but haven't proven it myself. The windshield isn't a problem - all '65-'66 GM full size shared the same windshield, so it is relatively easy to get and inexpensive (at least a number of years ago when I inquired about replacing mine...should probably have done it then).

Good luck with your decision.