Zinc, Silver Cad coatings...

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'm looking for a spray coating for restoring such things as pulleys, generator fans, relay bases, etc. I see Eastwood has two/three products. one is a clear zinc, another a zinc phosphate and another called silver cad. Anybody had experience using these. I'm looking for the most correct plus the most durable and longest lasting. thanks

I've used Eastwood's Silver Cad on some pulleys, and the parts look pretty good to me. As for durability... I'm not sure. Compared to the actual plating process, I would imagine real cad plating would be more durable? Perhaps someone else with the knowledge could chime in.

I bead blasted the parts, primed with self-etching primer, two coats of silver cad, and a final coat of Diamond clear. Probably won't win a show with it, but heck, looks a damn sight better than what they started out as !

Budd

Guest imported_MrEarl

Thanks Budd, sounds like a good plan for me too...

I guess everybody else has their stuff cad plated.

Caswell Plating sells home kits as well. Heck, if idiots can setup meth labs in their suburban garages and cause folks to have to evacuate the neighborhood when the Police/Hazmat teams raid the home... us auto enthusiasts should be able to have home plating equipment, powder coating, and everything else running in our garages... right? Ha ha!

Budd

Can anyone clarify what plating we are supposed to use? I don't know enough to tell the difference from zink and cad plating.

For things such as pulleys, gen fans, brake plates, etc, what is correct?

Happy wrenching,

Fr. Doug Cook

1954 Special under restoration

1924 roadster rod project (425 nailhead)