FS: The QC Mgr's Company Checker!

For Sale:

The Checker Marathon that was spec'd and produced for Checker Quality Control Manager Art Radke in the last run of Marathon's in November, 1981, and then driven by Art for 10 years as a company car, and thus factory maintained. Art drove the car primarily between Kalamazoo and the Lordstown, Ohio plant for whom Checker was producing body panels. Shortly before Art's retirement in 1991, the car was reconditioned by Checker, and it was repainted by Don Marcott (the former Checker Paint Line Supt.) in his auto-body shop in Wayland, Michigan. I bought the car from Art in June of 1992 at the Checker Show at the Gilmore Museum and have cared for it since (I have the bill of sale from Art).

We moved from Kalamazoo to Atlanta in 1999. Here the car has been a regular attraction at the Snellville Orphan Show (will be there again next weekend - this time with a "for sale" sign). It has be featured on TV in a segment of "Legends of the Road". We are once again relocating - this time to the west coast - and that drives the need to finally sell the Checker. It is a great driver and has made a number of distance trips, as well as a frequent around town driver.

The car is well-maintained. As one of the last Marathons, it has all galvanized steel body panels - an no rust through! - rocker panels are perfect!. The paint has a few bubbles - but no holes. Mechanically it is great, too: Art made me promise to used only Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil - he said that is all that has ever been used in the car. The engine is a 267 V-8. The car has tilt steering wheel, cruise, CB, AM-FM radio, and delay wipers. It has good tires, shocks, and exhaust. I just put $1300 into a complete re-do of the air-conditioning system; it has new evaporator and condenser coils and runs on modern version Freon.

VIN: 1CMMS4224BK002634

Best offer over $13,000 can pick up the car in Atlanta, Georgia

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any advice about selling on eBay?

I've bought lots of stuff, but never sold. Since I need to sell this car in the next few weeks, I am considering using eBay to sell it.

• 4 weeks later...

The blue Checker Marathon is still for sale. I had hoped to sell it before I move it cross country to Oregon during the 4th of July week. Any interested parties, please contact me through this list, at (404) 367-4793 or my cell at (404) 386-4188.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The blue Checker Marathon is still for sale. I had hoped to sell it before I move it cross country to Oregon during the 4th of July week. Any interested parties, please contact me through this list, at (404) 367-4793 or my cell at (404) 386-4188. </div></div>

eBay is certainly a 2 sided coin. I love the product but hate the company. It is a good venue to get exposure. Treat the deal like any other. use common sense and beware of scams. The one that goes "I have a cashier's check for $XXXXX more than you car is, can you send me the change?" is a common one.

An eBay auction is a legal and binding contract. Just don't expect eBay to be of much help if you need them.

• 9 months later...

I moved this car to Oregon last summer... now I'm ready to move again for retirement and I have one or two too many collector cars (still). I am willing to consider all reasonable offers. This is a very nice and a very special Checker.