Grand Classic Etiquette

billv8

I attend many Concours every year for the purpose of taking photos and furthering my education on classic and vintage vehicles. Grand Classic and Grand Experience events seem to be relatively sparsely attended by the general public and is almost seems as though I am intruding on a private society. Are non-member photographers and "students" welcome at these meetings? I am so impressed by the dedication, organization and craftsmanship found at these events, I wonder that the general public seems to have little sense of their value. Naturally not refering to CCCA Gilmore events as they are part of the widely known museum and rather well attended.

Where exactly in French Lick (what address and meeting place) is the GC to take place? It will be my first visit there. According to my calendar this will be on a Saturday May 21, correct?

Tell me again the difference between Grand Classic and Grand Experience Events?

Thematic or judging criteria or what? Or point me to the pages on the CCCA web site which explain these and other mysteries.

Bill C from TN

wmc911@hotmail.com

First off, we would love to have you join the CCCA if you are not a member. If you like photos of classics, you will love "The Classic Car" which is our quarterly magazine and also the Bulletin, issued in the other 8 months. The CCCA really isn't a secret society, but we don't do the best job of PR as our budget for that is basically nonexistent. We put the bulk of our funds into publications and events. 20 years ago CCCA events were primarily not open to the public, but now they are and you will be welcome there, but for cost reasons, the events are only advertised internally. The best way to enjoy these events is to become a member and get involved - you will have more fun because you will meet some really interesting people who love their classic cars. If you introduce yourself and ask people about their cars, you won't feel like you are an intruder - most of us love to talk cars, in fact it might be hard to stop us...

The difference between a Grand Classic and a Grand Experience is the Grand Classic is the judging event sponsored by the CCCA, using its regions and judging guidelines - basically looking at all parts of the car for function, authenticity and quality, and scoring is on a 100pt scale. These are held in various locations around the country. The Grand Experience is sponsored by the CCCA Museum (a separate organization) and is held on the grounds of the CCCA museum at the Gilmore campus near Hickory Corners, MI, usually the first weekend in June. The Grand Experience is more like a concours and the cars are judged on exterior cosmetics and beauty only - there is no detailed point judging for function or authenticity. Engines and chassis are not judged at the Experience. On two occasions, the CCCA has nationally sponsored a Grand Classic at the CCCA Museum on the same weekend as a Grand Experience, giving participants two chances to be judged and win awards - once for points on Saturday and again in Concours judging on Sunday. Most concours, with the exception of Pebble Beach, use this type of "walk by" judging. CCCA point judging is neutral and does not allow for any advantage to open cars or the swoopy cars that concours often celebrate. A formal limousine or plain sedan is on an equal footing with the raciest "special roadster", and all classics are honored, something that sets the CCCA apart from the concours and insures that you will see a greater variety of interesting cars at a Grand Classic.

When it comes to French Lick, it is such a small town that you can't miss the two huge old hotels built near the turn of the century as hangouts for the rich and famous - maybe even infamous - with gambling and sulphur springs to cure all ailments. I can't give you the exact address, but if you email me at packard12s@hotmail.com, I will try to get it for you. I think that only one of the hotels now functions as a hotel, and only part of the other one (West Baden) is now restored.

I hope to meet you at one of these events. I will have my 34 Cad town car at the Grand Experience - look me up and I will be glad to show you my car.

Hope this helps - if you have more questions about the "mysteries" of the club, just ask.