Buick Garage in Cincinnati

Hi Ted

they are looking good

how is the california GS coming along

i bought up the 65 that was addvertized on here and go to get it in a few days i hope

any salvage yards around by you to visit at all

i was thinking of making a trip your way with that motor and looking in a few yards if there are some cars of interest for me at all

email me if posible

thank

Greg

Guest karlde

Ted,

Very nice looking Buicks. Has Spring arrived in Southern Ohio?

We liked to come to the restaurants in Mt. Adams when we lived in Wilmington.

Karl

Here is my '65 Special Wagon. I got this one in 1993 or so, then a couple years later decided to put a 455 into the car. Meanwhile, I changed jobs and moved to South Carolina. The car followed me-on a trailer, half done! Then moved back to Ohio. Again, the car followed me-on a trailer, half done!

Its still being sorted out, but its driveable and reliable-and runs 13.49 with a posi rear end! Fun. 1455Camera_dump_4_05_235-med.jpg

5B17B9EC-33FD-468A-B212-6D050EBB9DAC-2926-00000555F5E22BA5_zps14ebbd4b.jpg

update: I bought another hood and had a scoop installed. More Power! Race engine project.

Edited by Wildcat65 (see edit history)

I found this car in Hemmings right before I moved back to Ohio. The phone # in the ad was the same 681 exchange as my work number, so it had to be close by. I bought it like 9 months later when she called me and asked how much would I give for the car? Hmmm. She said yes right away to my offer-

This baby is fully loaded with the Super Wildcat engine, power everything, cruise, tilt, a/c, locks, trunk, signal seeking radio, p antenna, seat, Guidematic lights and tissue dispenser. It just came back from the restoration shop, and its running great.

Pea65WIldcat.jpg

Here is my project. When I bought the convertible, I was looking for a coupe with t a 4-speed. Those are hard to find, so I bought the convertible, then I bought this automatic coupe. It was red with black custom interior. The car had a frozen MW code engine in it (NOM) and had a fire in the engine compartment. So, I felt no guilt in doing some modifications to the car, like black paint, red custom interior, MW engine with either a '66 Quadrajet or a dual quad setup, Tremec 5-speed OD transmission with hydraulic clutch and throwout bearing, 3.42:1 rear end and the automatic console with tach-mimicing the '64 4-speed console with the funky shifter!

DSC00011.jpg

Here is a preview of the engine and transmission in the frame. All Wildcat frames had holes drilled for the placement of the crossmember for the automatic or the 4-speed transmission. For the Tremec, the X member has to move forward in between the two locations. The driveshaft will have to be shortened 2 5/8".

1455Camera_dump_4_05_376-med.jpg

While I was waiting for that red automatic coupe to be delivered, I found this Burgundy mist 4-speed coupe advertised in the Leads section of the Buick Bugle. I called the number listed there-wrong #! So I called the Bugle and got the member's name and number, then got the correct number from the BCA member. I was very nervous-this was the car I had been searching for-for 9 years! A deal was made, and the car came up from Texas sight unseen. It came off the trailer and had a LeSabre grill on it! So I got my 4-speed Wildcat. I put the grill from the other car and drove it-a little...it needs to be restored properly. It has a NOM KW engine, a/c, Custom Bucket seats, the 2 consoles, P antenna, am/fm. I'll have this one done in a few years. The original transmission was in the trunk, and I have a LX engine from a Riviera that will be rebuilt for it. It has some rust issues and no chrome trim. It looks very nice in these pictures! I drove it a bit (4/17/05) and noticed the motor mounts are bad, so its going back into hibernation.

2013- restored 95%, almost ready to show:

Wildcat65burg_zps9d0929c4.jpg

Ok, this is the Red Deluxe Convertible 4-speed. While at the GSCA nationals in 2001 Wild Bill Burton told me about this car. I pursued it and on my 40th birthday I decided to get this car restored professionally. I looked in Hemmings and found a shop that could start right away. I hauled the carcass out and a frame off resto was done. Unfortunatly, we had no body. So I bought another convertible for that, but it was deemed not good enough. I found another, and it had the Deluxe bucket seats in good condition, so I bought it. It donated the body and interior. Done = Gold Senior @ 2006 Nationals, also favored at that show by the General Manager's Award- Thank you Steve Shannon!

red651_small.jpgred651.jpg

Now until this year the first SIX Wildcats I bought were all projects. What to do, what to do? OK, I bought another. This time a running, driving beauty, 401 automatic, console, a/c and PW car. My driver. I drove it to the 100th anniversary show in Flint.

Update 2012- Sold to a fine engineer and his sons in Michigan.

http://www.aaca.org/photopost/data/506/1455Camera_dump_4_05_185-med.jpg 1455Camera_dump_4_05_185-med.jpg

Last November this car showed up parked like a block from my office. I got curious and found it was for sale. Gosh, what to do? 55,000 miles, 455, working a/c... The style is great. Now Sold to another board member grin.gif

I'll let him explain. Coming soon- another addition to the GS collection!

1455Camera_dump_4_05_458-med.jpg

Enjoy. I am looking forward to this year's BCA show in Batavia. Hopefully my interior parts will show up as promised and I willl be able to bring the red Wildcat convertible to the show. See you there!

Guest imported_MrEarl

Ted,

Those are some beautiful Buicks. I can tell you really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to following the projects.

Go Wildcats!!

Guest imported_Thriller

Great...now I gotta wipe the drool off my keyboard...6 (or was it more as I lost count) shiny cars...I have one that is sort of shiny and that 40th isn't all that far away...I love the attitude though - what to do? Buy. Simple.

Ted, your photos have made my day. The '65 Wildcats are near and dear to me, so it's great to see your appreciation of them. And, of course, that '71 Centurion is pretty nice as well!

Thanks for posting these here. I will re-visit this topic many times whenever I need my dose of '65 Wildcats.

Thanks Brian, I enjoyed your Centurion post immensely and have been looking forward to posting pictures. Last Sunday was a brilliant day for pictures so I washed some cars and took the pictures of the green convertible, Centurion and burgundy coupe. Some of them turned out a little fuzzy-I'll just have to take some more! Not today, Spring has left us for this weekend. Very unfortunate, because the first car show of the season was scheduled for Sunday and we may get SNOW! tongue.gif

• 11 months later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Sweet...the first '65 Wildcat I encountered was a convertible in Saskatoon - it was blue and had been previously owned by a member of the Saskatoon Antique Auto Club. After I joined and had photos of my '66 we had a good chat about that '65...he did seem to regret having sold it.

It sortof depends on how "fine a point" to put on the point!

In '65 they built around 555 4-speeds. (all models) About 107 were convertibles.

This one is the Deluxe, 401 standard engine. There were 17 with this combination.

Thats all I can do from Memory. Thanks for looking! I'm planning to take it to Rochester this July.

Ted

What an unbelievable car that is. You are so gifted to have that!

I had to back out of going to Rochester. We really wanted to go but the financial gods got PO'd at me and broke a bunch of stuff in our house, including us.

I just know that will be an excellent show, and I will be sitting in NY wishing I could be there. frown.gif

JD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I once had a 66 Gransport with a 4 speed. Unfortunately the frame developed rust out issues and I foolishly sold it. I did sell it to someone who had a 71 and another GS, and that fellow told me he would rebuild it. He even bought a 67 in our neighborhood which had been rear ended with a lot of damage and put that back together. But I saw him a few years later and he told me he parted the car out and trashed the rest. A crying shame. I miss the 4 speed days.

JD

• 4 months later...

Just a note on the collection-I like all the variants of the different Buick drivetrains, and strive to represent the variety of Buick Power in my collection. Some combo's-

Wildcat 445 + Super turbine 400

Super Wildcat + Super turbine 400

Wildcat 445 + 4-speed

Super Wildcat + 4-speed

455 + 4-speed

455 + TH 400

350 + TH350

340 + ST300

Someday Straight 8!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ted, I got it, you can put a Straight 8 in that black Wildcat with the Tremec. You'd have to cut the firewall to fit that bad boy in there, but man, that'd be way cool! To heck with that junky X block, send it to that scrap guy in Wichita...

Matt

Guest ZondaC12

oh yeah you gotta get a straight 8 man! (wait just to have a stock straight 8 car, or you want to modify it too? haha)

'cause i would PAY to see that, a I-8 supercharged or with a hot cam and quad carbs or headers or something or a combination of all that. i just wonder how much horsepower you could get out of one with that stuff. a hot-rod '30s buick with a modern v8 that hauls is one thing, but blowing the doors off someone with an engine thats that old too? id be in disbelief if i was the driver of the other car.