wire or wooden spoked wheels

Guest memco

Guest memco

Does anyone have any information on where to purchase or have made a set of wooden, or wire spoked wheels for a 1903 oldsmobile replica that i am making to full scale.

memco@cox.net

melvin e myers

Melvin, wood spoke wheels can be made by several companies including Graber 858-273-3660. You also need to think about the rims you plan on using. The person doing the wire wheels that I know of is in Cadillac, Michigan. I can try to find that information for you...the hubs are going to be critical. Neither option is inexpensive.

A little under the weather today and realized I should have asked you what you were going to use for tires. Since this is a replica you may have some cheaper alternatives, or are you trying to make it a faithful replica visually?

Steve, Was Oldsmobile the only company to offer the crossed or angled wooden spoke wheels? The first car registered in the state of Connecticut was a CDO, it has been restored for almost 50 years, and is still driven on a set of these original wheels.

I am not sure of the answer. CDO's had the staggered wheels (not the greatest, and they were abandoned), wire wheels, non-staggered wooden wheels and metal wheels that look like the wooden wheels. I have not seen other cars with the staggered design but would guess other early cars had them.