Sealed Battery Technology for Repro Battery

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

I have some questions about the "sealed" repro Delco batteries that are now available. In order to get greater feedback, I posted it in AACA Tech section.

Please check it out and offer your comments.

I got one for my '55-76R. It looks like the real thing (until you unscrew one of the caps and look down and see the "real" top). Car is in a parking deck in my condo and is subject to the weather. Have had it through 2 winters and never had to jump start using helper battery, even though I have gone as long as 6 weeks with out starting (in the winter).Came with 1 year unconditional guarantee and 3 year Pro-rated warranty.Cost me $250.00 (which included shipping by UPS).

Heartily recommend. Go to www.antique auto battery.com

Guest my3buicks

another option is the "topper" that are avaialbe - I have one I use (bought black battery at Walmart for about $50) - the toppers are about $55 - I have used mine at national meets and not been "caught" I also know 2 people that got AACA Grand Nationals with them. If your careful and get a very plain cased battery of the right size, once the topper is in place, they really do look good. I figured I could get a lot for my money going this way - 48 month battery $50 Topper $55 = $145 Savings or 2 more 48 month batterys 0r : )

a couple tanks of gas

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the "toppers" are only in the popular sizes (10") and not for tar-tops. My 1960 needs a size 60K battery, which is a long tar-top, with posts that are diagonally opposite. The 1970 uses a long (12") battery.

By the way, a concern I've heard with the toppers is that they require battery post extensions, which create another connection and add circuit resistance.

Guest my3buicks

I did not need the extenders on my application and with the battery I choose, although I have heard this also. Again, I was picky when I went battery hunting.