Three Generations of Buick Devotees

60buick225conv

It's 6:30pm, June 27, 1962. My Seventh Birthday! I am sitting on our backyard picnic table, gazing over the fence to my neighbors yard. Mr. Ray Perks was standing chatting with several guys, surrounded by big shiney Buicks. Late 50's models as I recall, loaded with chrome, two tones, white walls, fancy hubcaps.

The hood was up on a 58 Century 4 door. They were laughing and smoking cigarettes. Ray Perks was the chief mechanic at Kelly Buick in Worcester, Ma, on Shrewsbury Street. I used to love to watch all the great stylish cars roll in and out of his yard. My Grandfather told me he specialized in transmissions.

Looked to me that he could do anything. To the guys in his yard, he seemed like a GOD, from the way the laughed and patted him on the back. Grandpa said he was one of the best. Every Sunday my Grandparents, Dad and siblings and me piled into Grandpa's new Buick for the ride to church and back. 62 Skylark, 65 Skylark, 67 Sport Wagon. My Dad's 53 Special wasn't good enough for church! The 49 Riviera out back belonged to my Uncle Walter. We'd meet Uncle Bob in the church lot with his 59 Invicta 2 door hardtop. Over the years, the ride didn't change, just the cars. 65 Wildcat, 67 LeSabre, 69 Electra. The 73 Electra was a real pretty green with Vinyl top and brocade interior. MY Mom's Dad used to drive from Florida to visit us. He was a Buick man too...Wildcats, LeSabres, Regals, Riviera's, some great color combinations too. My first-was a used 72 Centurion my uncle got for me at Kelly Buick. It was a sweet car, and my initiation into the "buick mystique". The list goes on, through the 80's and 90's, the last one being a 2003 Century that Grandpa leased on his 91st birthday. He's gone now, with Mr. Perks, and the uncles and Dad, too. So's the car. But, every time I fire up my 1960 Electra 225 Convertible, put down the top, and roll out into the sunshine, I look up and see all those faces, all that chrome, the trips to Kelly Buick every other September to look at the new models. I see their smiles and faces reflecting in the chrome, and know this is gonna be another great day for a ride in my Buick. I'm glad it's a big car, cause theres always a lot of passengers in there with me!

This is a great story! Thanks for posting here, and we'd love to see and hear more about that '60 Electra 225.

We were kids during an era when brand loyalty meant something, and many of us here had the good fortune to grow up in Buick families. Thanks for keeping those fabulous memories alive.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm flattered! My 1960 buick Electra 225 Convertible is white, with a white top, and original red leather interior. Bucket seats, center console, electric everything, wonderbar radio(currently out being restored). She runs extremely well. Powerful and smooth. She has around 73,000 miles on her.(I need a new odometer gear if anyone knows where to get one!) She loves to ride the highway along the beaches here in Maryland and Delaware, espcially in the spring and fall. She is all factory, very clean and straight. She has lots of NOS parts. There's not a better Saturday or Sunday, when the temp is 80's and she has been freshly washed and polished. I slide behind the wheel in a cool Hawaiian Shirt, a panama hat, and take her for that seaside cruise up the highway, and back just as the sun sets on the bay. Frank Sinatra on the radio....people point and wave, God I love this car so much! I hope JFK wins the election..........

Hi John, thanks for the invite! I'd love to make the show, and drive to Worcester, too. She's a great driver, but, I'm always scared to death over the prospect of driving around Manhattan, even at night. I'm not wealthy enough to own a trailer, so at this point, I'd say unlikely, but, one never knows what may strike my fancy! Mike

Guest 70 Electra

60buick225,

Welcome! It's especially great to see another 60 Buick fan! (Especially one in my FAVORITE combo of white w/ red seats grin.gif......is yours the "early" style with red and white seats, or the later style with all-red?)

I'm curious how you came to admire/own a 60 Buick, since your story of Buicks included many other models, but not a 60.

Hi Greg,

mine's the later style..the seats are solid red.....Actually, I saw this car for sale on ebay seven years ago, and had to have it....I love many of the Buicks, and especially convertibles, but, this one has incredible style and WOW factor, that some just don't have. I will check out your web site, too! Thanks for the heads up on that! Mike

Guest Skyking

Mike, very touching story, and well writen. I grew up in a Buick family also, and looking at some of my old family photos with my siblings around my dad's new Buicks gives me the same feelings. Back then the Buick was part of the family. At least we have some great memories to remember.

I've owned a few old Buicks myself and now just own the 62 Invicta. The 1960 is my favorite year,especially convertibles. Good luck with your car and keep us posted!

• 7 years later...
Guest bogblockbuickboy

I have a 71 Riviera that was purchased off the Kelly Buick 72 Shrewbury, Street Worchester, Mass show room floor with 12 miles on the odometer 23 July 1971, Mr Hammar was the sales man.

I've trying to dig up info on the building/dealership(s) and would be interested in any more info (pictures) you have about the dealership. email; robs71redriv @yahoo.com

here's what i have as of today

<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

<table style="margin-left:-26.0pt; border-collapse:collapse;mso-table-layout-alt:fixed;mso-padding-alt:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="width:34.1pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="45">

</td> <td style="width:34.55pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-left:none;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="46">

</td> <td style="width:183.1pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-left:none;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="244"> KELLY BUICK COMPANY, INC.

</td> <td style="width:169.7pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-left:none;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="226"> 72 SHREWSBURY STREET

</td> <td style="width:49.7pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-left:none;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="66">

</td> <td style="width:69.85pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-left:none;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="93">

68, 70-80

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width:34.1pt;border:solid windowtext .75pt; border-top:none;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="45">

</td> <td style="width:34.55pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .75pt;border-right:solid windowtext .75pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="46">

</td> <td style="width:183.1pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .75pt;border-right:solid windowtext .75pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="244"> KELLY HIBBS BUICK INC.

</td> <td style="width:169.7pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .75pt;border-right:solid windowtext .75pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="226"> 72 SHREWSBURY STREET

</td> <td style="width:49.7pt;border-top:none;border-left:none; border-bottom:solid windowtext .75pt;border-right:solid windowtext .75pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="66">

</td> <td style="width:69.85pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .75pt;border-right:solid windowtext .75pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .75pt; padding:0in 2.0pt 0in 2.0pt" valign="top" width="93">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> The Worcester Buick building was built in 1942

George Kelly in 1960 he founded Kelly-Hibbs Buick (later Kelly Buick) in Worcester, MA. George also served as President of the Massachusetts State Automobile Dealers Association from 1970 to 1971

other businessis at this location

1981 – 2006 Edward Buick GMC Truck Incorporated

72 Shrewsbury St

Worcester, MA 01604

(508) 791-2350

2006 - ??? BANCROFT MOTORS INC

72 SHREWSBURY ST

WORCESTER, MA 01604-4625 | view map

(508) 751-4700

COMPANY DETAILS

Location Type: Single Location

Industry: Motor Vehicle Dealers (New and Used)

Worcester telegran July 27, 2006 Separately, Mayo’s purchase of the former Bancroft Motors building closes a chapter on a property that was the focus of a different dispute stretching back to 2000. In March, Bancroft Motors relocated its Jeep-Chrysler dealership to Shrewsbury Street

??? Tito's Perfect Shine

We've heard this business is closed. Have updated information?

(508) 756-7331

72 Shrewsbury St

Last Verified 3/12/2012 Shrewsbury Street Associates, Llp

72 Shrewsbury St.

Worcester, MA 01604

Type of Entity: Registered Domestic Limited Liability Partnership (llp)

Entity Creation Date: Jan 20, 2005

Glickman, Kovago & Co. has also brokered the sale of the former Buick Dealership located at 72 Shrewsbury St. Shrewsbury Street Association, LLP sold the property to J & M Batista Family, LP. The 28,000 s/f building sits on 1.58 acres of land sold for $1.575 million.

Cohen represented the buyer, J & M Batista Family, LP and Cohen, Carl Burwick and David Burwick represented the seller, Shrewsbury Street Association, LLP.

60 - 72 Shrewsbury St

60 - 72 Shrewsbury St, Worcester, MA 01604

• Total Space Available:

33,000 SF

• Rental Rate:

Negotiable

• Min. Divisible:

6,000 SF

• Max. Contiguous:

33,000 SF

• Property Type:

Office

• Property Sub-type:

Office Building

• Building Size:

48,000 SF

bobblock,

You added this latest post on an old thread. I am not sure where you are located now, but it woukld have probably been preferable if you started a new thread under General, to better get information on the dealership. If I am not mistaken, this building is still vacant and awaiting purchase or development. I think Frank Batty has posted some time last year, but I am not sure where the thread was. His tag is "buke" so you might search.

But, he lives nearby and he indicated that the building still has the plate glasswindows with the Buick script logo in blue and had posted some photos.

If I can find it, I will let you know. But I know nothing more about the dealership. Are you near Worcester.

John

Guest 4 bufords

when i was in the air force in 62 i bought my first car,a 55 buick special 2 door hard top.my father had a 56 special 2 door hard top and my grandfather had a 57 super 4 door hard top.kinda cool us guys with 55,56 and 57 buicks. at the same time. i have the 57 now,4 bufords from ct

• 1 year later...
Guest xlh883861@aol.com
It's 6:30pm, June 27, 1962. My Seventh Birthday! I am sitting on our backyard picnic table, gazing over the fence to my neighbors yard. Mr. Ray Perks was standing chatting with several guys, surrounded by big shiney Buicks. Late 50's models as I recall, loaded with chrome, two tones, white walls, fancy hubcaps.

The hood was up on a 58 Century 4 door. They were laughing and smoking cigarettes. Ray Perks was the chief mechanic at Kelly Buick in Worcester, Ma, on Shrewsbury Street. I used to love to watch all the great stylish cars roll in and out of his yard. My Grandfather told me he specialized in transmissions.

Looked to me that he could do anything. To the guys in his yard, he seemed like a GOD, from the way the laughed and patted him on the back. Grandpa said he was one of the best. Every Sunday my Grandparents, Dad and siblings and me piled into Grandpa's new Buick for the ride to church and back. 62 Skylark, 65 Skylark, 67 Sport Wagon. My Dad's 53 Special wasn't good enough for church! The 49 Riviera out back belonged to my Uncle Walter. We'd meet Uncle Bob in the church lot with his 59 Invicta 2 door hardtop. Over the years, the ride didn't change, just the cars. 65 Wildcat, 67 LeSabre, 69 Electra. The 73 Electra was a real pretty green with Vinyl top and brocade interior. MY Mom's Dad used to drive from Florida to visit us. He was a Buick man too...Wildcats, LeSabres, Regals, Riviera's, some great color combinations too. My first-was a used 72 Centurion my uncle got for me at Kelly Buick. It was a sweet car, and my initiation into the "buick mystique". The list goes on, through the 80's and 90's, the last one being a 2003 Century that Grandpa leased on his 91st birthday. He's gone now, with Mr. Perks, and the uncles and Dad, too. So's the car. But, every time I fire up my 1960 Electra 225 Convertible, put down the top, and roll out into the sunshine, I look up and see all those faces, all that chrome, the trips to Kelly Buick every other September to look at the new models. I see their smiles and faces reflecting in the chrome, and know this is gonna be another great day for a ride in my Buick. I'm glad it's a big car, cause theres always a lot of passengers in there with me!

so i found your post so i had to reply ,i started doing trannies for buick at this location in 1984 i left years later when this dealer closed its buick franchise,i heard many stories about terry perks and believe i even met him one time,the guy that trained me on tranmissions moved to maryland about 2 years ago and is alive and well and knew terry perks very well,the crew i workrd with most are retired but all new mr. perks. i was one of the youngest im now 47 and started at the dealer in 84,when i was about 17,it was worcester buick,then kelly buick then edward buick its now an upscale pizza parlor but the origanal buick windows still are there and was told they may fall apart if removed. please email me for any info you need ,xlh883861@aol.com