Starter Solenoid

I have a Chrysler Industrial Series 30 flathead six with an Autolite 6V starter that the solenoid has apparently failed. I can find a four digit model number of 4048 on the starter. If there are more digits necessary to identify the starter, they proceed the 4048 and have been obliterated on the ID plate. I believe the solenoid contacts have failed because if we remove the starter from the engine and apply 12V power the starter spins. On board the engine we can hear the solenoid click but the starter does not spin. Anyone have any ideas where I can get parts, or what may be wrong? Thanks.

• 4 years later...

man stated older Chrysler..not a Chevy or reduction drive Mopar unit where you can flip the posts..the solenoid is not on the starter..it is inner fender mounted and sealed unit..you will need to find a solenoid that is rated for 6 volts..as the six volt starter draws way more current than most 12 volt systems...and add 12 volt to the original starter and the current has doubled across the solenoid (ohms law)

lots of people have been using the Ford relays available in 3 or 4 wire post where the fouth terminal is for 12 volt start to coil or use of sisson choke if your Mopar is so equipped..they may not last forever but cheap enough to replace..