1960 Flxible Buick

Guest 60Buick

Guest 60Buick

I have had some request to post a little about some of my cars. I have some time now so why not.

I have owned a lot of cars but this one is special. This is my 1960 Buick Flxible Premier Hearse. It took me 3 years to find this car. Flxible only made 86 Premiers in 1960. The Premier was the stretched top of the line car. I bought this car off of Ebay out of Portland Oregon and had her trucked all the way to Atlanta Georgia. The car was originaly purchased by the Alby Mortuary in Condon Oregon. The car was the only hearse and ambulance in use for several years in the small town. In 79 The Sweeny Mortuary bought the company out. The car was retained in service and used in both homes until 1984. The car was put out to pature at that time. Pat Sweenys brother then aquired the car and put it in his scrap pasture to be disposed of. Then the kids found the car and were kind of fond of the bat finned vehicle and it was tagged in 85 and driven that year then forgotten. In 2003 a man by the name of Duane Ely found the car and the 73 caddy hearse next to it and struck a deal. 500 dollars later he hauled the junkers home. He only wanted the Buick for the engine and tranny. They were destined to sit in his Chevy but he made a killing on the 73 so he decieded to see what the buick would bring. Lets just say he made his money back but I have a very good car and was happy to give what I did. The car is rust free except for a few tiny holes under my feet. The interior was sunbaked and a carburator rebuild later it runs great. The paint is original and pretty much everything is. I due intend to restore this vehicle but I try to preserve it as much as possible until I have one of my other Flxibles restored to enjoy.

I currently own 2 1960 Flxible Premier Hearses. One of which is in Missori about to be shipped to Atlanta. It is also a limo style hearse but has factory air and is black.

I am in the purchasing process of 2 more 1960 Flxibles from a Buck collector. One of thiese is a Premier ambulance. There are just 2 true ambulances left. One is owned by Steve Lictman and the other is this one. It is a very solid rust free car that still retains the art glass in the rear but the emergency equipment is gone. The car had a fender mounted siren and tunnel lights and was orange and white. There is also one that is owned by Lee Anderson but it was originaly a combo and not a true ambulance. The other car is a Flxible Flxette Hearse. That is the standard wheelbase model. There were 110 built in 1960. This car is very special because it is a Landau or enclosed hearse. It is the only known Flxette Landau known to exist. This car has some rust but is equpted with the rare "Air Ready" option and is very much unmolested. It is black with an unusually stricking black gray and red factory interior.

I have been looking for 1960 Flxibles for 5 or 6 years now and have only uncovered a handful of them. There are 2 for sale. One is a Flxette that is pretty rusty and the engine is gone and there is a 6000 dollar price tag on its butt. The other is a restored combo with a 20,000 dollar price on it. Other than that every one I have found is not for sale at any price. To see some of the surviving cars check out my site.

www.hometown.aol.com/rlt60lesabre/myhomepage/index.html

Another fascinating story, Richard, and we look forward to photos of the other cars once you get them home.

I often think with amazement how many times I passed through tiny Condon, Oregon in 1978 and 1979, traveling to meetings for my first job out of grad school. Had I any idea that the '60 Flxible remained in service at that time, I would have eagerly sought it out.

These cars are probably the rarest '60 Buicks of all, and they are a fun part of the 1960 Buick story.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Richard

I've just spent the last hour reading your stories, checking out your website and surfing the net and reading about Flxibles.Verrrry interesting. I'd love to come over and check out your collection someday. What part of Atlanta do you live.

I'm wondering if a person had a need for one of the hearses, do you by any chance hire them out.

Are you familiar with this one that was at Charlotte last year.(or perhaps it's yours!!!!!

Guest 60Buick

That is my car. I will have it in Charlotte this April as well. Not the good side of my car. The side doors back on the passenger side was a crappy repaint that didn't hold up well compared to the original paint. I was supposed to have fresh paint for the show this year but the guy that is doing it has stalled me till it was to late to have it done in time. You will have to stop by one day.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Srdavis63

I have a 1960 Flexible Buick that has a running all original motor. This peticular has extra parts that will go with the sale of the car, including the red bubble gum lights. Considering the year of this car, it is a solid car. Call for pics if you are interested, 281

-702-7744.