Just be glad you didn't LEASE your Reatta! Look at EV1 owners!

Reatta Man

The GM electric vehicles, known as the EV1, were all leased to the public.

When the leases were up, and GM decided they were too expensive to maintain and not worth the trouble, they took them back and now are CRUSHING the cars!

Go to the EV1 club Web page at: http://ev1-club.power.net/

There are very sad photos of GM's Mesa, Arizona proving grounds where the cars are being crushed and stacked. What a waste!

GM claims they spent $1 billion to develop and make the cars. Now they don't want to have anything to do with them. Guess we know why the cost of cars goes up every year!

I'd bet that if Reattas had all been leased, GM would be crushing them instead of having to support them with parts and service.

Joe

Guest imported_JohnW

Thank our legal system for that. Just let a wheel or even a nut fall off and the lawyers will swoop down on GM like crows on fresh road kill. Ouch...I just burned my mouth on hot coffee. Let's see whom I can blame this on. Just my $0.02 worth.

Is the same reason I am having to develop my own software for the ECM/BCM/etc, GM will not tell you anything and unless someone decodes it all, maintenance will get increasingly difficult.

Guest F14CRAZY

Well, I guess EV1s were not available to be actually bought. But it is true that it would be a pain for GM to keep parts and service for a few thousand cars that share like no common parts with other vehicles.

that is not completly true. there was one EV-1, owned by Kris Trexler of Los Angeles, California, that was not leased. he bought it directly from GM, and drove it back from the Craft Centre in Lansing to Los Angeles.

needless to say, the drive took weeks. the anticipated 100 miles per charge was more like about 50-70 miles per charge. by the way, he still has the car.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EDBSO

WOW $1,000,000,000 to do the R&D for 800 leased vehicles.

I am calling my broker to short GM now, RIGHT NOW!

And YES they do POLUTE BIG TIME!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the car at a car show in San Luis Obispo, California several years ago. there was a copy of the California title with his name on it, not GMAC'S.

when he drove it from Michigan to Los Angeles, there was a complete GM chase team following him all the way, in case he had any problems. he had an entire scrapbook filled with many photos of the trip. this was supposed to be a big GM PR event, but the limited range (about 50 miles) made the trip incredibly long.

Kris is a film editor in Los Angeles, and has quite a few award winning cars. they are frequently featured in Collectible Automobile.

Mike