For Sale 41 Lincoln Zephyr

Guest Mims

For Sale: 1941 Lincoln Zephyr Five Window Coupe

Car was originally tan but was painted black in the late 50?s. Interior is black and white. Car has always been garaged since being in the family. V-12 engine was rebuilt several years ago and has not been cranked recently but will easily crank. Contact Mims @ mauricebeth@bellsouth.net or Phone: (912) 375-2419. Car is located in southeast Georgia.

Big surprise Phil, I have talked to Maurice on line and have seen the pics of the car, the problem is the pics are huge, and I am sure would not make it on the attachment deal here, car needs some help, but seems like a solid complete car from what I could see, still interested in the '36-'37 LZ radio question too, be well, Rolf

Rolf is referring to a radio "deal" I'm working on. A guy in Houston has some "old radio boxes" that he found in the trunk of a 1937 Ford. I sent him a check and he'll be shipping them to me as soon as the check clears. At this point, we don't know what kind of radios they are but if they're car radios, I need a vibrator and maybe some tubes for the radio in my Zephyr.

Huge photos can be easily reduced to the "less than 100k bytes" requirement by using the "Microsoft Photo Editor" or any of many photo processing software products like "Adobe Photo Shop", "Paint Shop Pro", etc.

Ace, these radios that Phil is getting are different models of '37 Ford radios, and I was just wondering if apart from the head and dial in the dash, they might be the same as early LZ?? The Fords mounted on the inside of the firewall, up high enough so you had foot room, seems like car radios were stil pretty novel back then, so it seemed likely they might be the same?? Sounds like you are the man who would know-

Dear Ace and Rolf,The radio in the 39 Zephyr and our 37 Ford mounted in the same place over the steering column.I gotta believe Mr. Ford made only one style radio in 37, the 37 Ford radio and 39 Zephyr look pretty much the same,i would think the controls are the same.Now that i have thought about it i have both a 37 radio and the restored one out of our 39 Zephyr.I will check em out side by side and report back with what i find.diz smile.gif

I know the one I bought was installed under the passenger seat, and the cables leading to the dial head must be 5 - 6 feet long. I suppose they could be put anywhere, though.

Regarding sharing of the radios across models, I was at the February swapmeet and someone had a radio from a K model. The box was exactly the same as mine.

Looks like unwittingly, another can of worms has been opened here, the question is, " are there any standard radios, locations for them, and control heads for the various models '36-'39??" '40's and '41's each had specific radios, usually Philcos, not sure about the '42-'48's, but they look very similar to each other to me, I suspect that radios being a special order item were installed at the dealers after the sale, so barring strict adherence to an installation service bulletin, they and the antennas could be installed anywhere and any way, having worked in a Ford Dealer in the '70's, this was par for the course then anyway,

Guys,

As soon as I get these radios I'll post photos of them. Until then, I have NO idea what they are. The description I received was as follows:

"In the trunk of the last 1937 Ford that I restored there were 4 old Radio boxes. They're dusty inside but apparently all intact. The numbers inside the cases -- F1440(2 of them) and FT-9(2 0f them)".

Perhaps these numbers mean something to somebody, but not to me. I'm assuming that there are no tuning heads or controls included with these radios. confused.gif

Phil -

I'll try to post some pics of the one I have, and jot down any numbers. I also think Rolf has hit on a key point -- it's very likely that at dealerships (and perhaps even at the factory?), folks installed these radios where it made sense to them, or where it was convenient. For example, I've noticed on the '37s, factory literature will show the radio head installed on the *passenger*-side ashtray, but I see it on either side in cars, including ones that haven't been restored.

Dear Rolf and Cecil i believe you are correct in regard to DEALER installations of the antennas,i have seen them on both sides of the car and on different angles.There are FACTORY indentations on the firewall where holes are to be drilled for the actual radio box either at the factory,dealer or at a later time by anyone who wanted a radio.diz

Guest imported_V12Bill

Rolf, I wouldn't waste my time with an old vibrater. They make new ones that are tranistorized. I don't know even a little bit abaout electronics, but I think that a vibrator has a couple of sets of points that open and close rapidly. You know what happens to relays and such that have points in them and they get old. You can buy the newer style for about $25 or $30. I think that I have seen them advertised in Hemmings.

Regarding factory versus dealer installed radios; The authenticity manual states that for l941 and maybe 40, the antennae base is painted body color if the radio is factory installed. If dealer installed it is black.

I would think that Customs & Continentals would leave the factory loaded with options and after the war dealers would put a radio in any car to build up the bottom line. To be sure how your car left the factory get a build sheet to be sure

My 46 and both 48s have Philco radios. I wouldn't be surprised if the 40 and 41 radios differed only by the dial and knobs.

Wasn't the original subject here about selling a 41 Lincoln? How did radios sneak in here?

Bill

I will see if I can reduce the size of the pictures. This is the first time I have ever used one of those cameras and I have never edited the pictures.

I have reduced the pictures but they will not fit on the website. If anyone wants the pictures just drop me an email.

Thanks,

Maurice

• 1 month later...

Dear O.C.,The 37 Ford radio i have looks like the two on the left side in the pic.Do not know about the two on the right with the hump in the cover.My 39 Zephyr radio does not have that 2 angle cover on it,its flat on all sides and has the Zephyr emblem on one side.diz smile.gif

• 1 month later...

The car is still in southeast Georgia available for sale. I also have parts available for sale from three stripped 46 to 48 V-12 Lincolns. I have everything from one spare engine, to interior parts, and three front and rear ends from the cars. The front and rearends are outside and are eventually going to have to go for clean up. The tube for the driveshafts are covered on the rear ends and the third member should freely move. All other parts are stored inside and taggede. If anyone is interested contact me before we have to sell the front and rears for scrap metal.

• 6 months later...

This car has been sold. Phil Knapp thanks for your assistance on putting the pictures of the 41 and 47 which I had to sell on this web page. Thanks to several of you other LZOC owners who I have corresponded with and met. It took a while but I finally got more than what I had asked for the 41. I still have 46 to 48 parts from three stripped cars which I would like to get rid of versus going for scrap. I will try to have a listing of parts and pictures in the near future. Again to all of you that have assisted thanks.

Mims