JUST = 5 = Days!

1937hd45

You have all watched "Monster Garage" and the "Biker Buildoffs" where they build a car/bike in five days. IF they tried to do the same with a STOCK restoration in mind, just how much do you think could be done? This is not a trick question, just wonder what you could do in FIVE days on a restoration project? Would it make for good TV viewing?

Guest Albert

More like 5 months! or is that years. I guess it all depends on how much money you throw at a project. They must Pre order all the parts, 9 times out of ten it seems parts on back order when I try to get things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is not a trick question, just wonder what you could do in FIVE days on a restoration project? Would it make for good TV viewing? </div></div>

Probably viewing as good as any 5 minute souffle, symphony composition, or wedding night. If being done fast was the measure of a quality experience no one would ever have married me! (think about it shocked.gif) smirk.gif

I don't think it could be done in a credible fashion. The closest thing I have seen to a real restoration is some of the work that has been done on the show "Overhaulin". They have done some serious rust repair and rebuild work on several 50s and 60s era cars. What allows them to turn the project around so fast is using new out of the box mechanical components. To do a real authentic restoration there is a lot of time involved in rebuilding all of the mechanical components and then getting the car sorted out so that it perform properly.

I have had the thought for some time that it would be interesting to have a show that went throught a detailed restoration of a significant car over a period of weeks. With the creation of shows like Monster Garage and Overhaulin I don't think the general public would sit through a restoration that lasted more than a couple of one hour episodes. Instant gratification and short attention spans tend to put a damper on an in depth project.

ASW

Dear Bob,I think a couple of guys could completely take apart a mid 30s Ford and remove the body from the frame in a week of nights and a Saturday and Sunday.NO photos,NO bagging of parts and NO note taking just rammin and jammin.This does not include takin apart any mechanical pieces,ie engine,trans,rear or brakes.As we all know the restoration of all the pieces and assembly are an entirely different matter.To do it RIGHT all the way,i think 3,000 hours is not out of the question.If my math is correct that would be 75 people each workin a 40hr week.diz laugh.gif

I think it could be done....if it was planned out in detail ahead of time. The physical work if performed by a highly skilled crew who were prepped as to proceedure ahead of time with the parts and tools available could possiblly restore a car in five days. Obviously, the car would have to be an easy restoration...ie. no heavy duty body work, etc.

With planning, foresight and organzation,and a car for which lots of repro parts are available, I believe it could be done. You would also have to have 'experts' in almost all phases so that everything comes out right the first time. Solid body with little body work helps a lot. If an interior kit is available, is pre-ordered and on hand at the beginning, same for glass, weather strip, etc.....

A machine shop CAN redo an engine ( or tranny, or axle ) on a couple days time line IF

1. They are very, very good.

2. They have a head's up to get a line on parts or have many in stock all the time.

3. The have a head's up to schedule it into their production as a priority job.

Same for chrome, paint, upholstery if not a kit.

That one week miracle probably takes about a week of planning/ordering/logistical support some months prior to the 1 week "overhaul." That's the part we don't see on TV.

Mustang, Camaro, GM-A body, 55-57 Chev--all could be done on a compressed timeline and come out authentic and probably a consistent show winner in a 400 point system.

But--it would HAVE to be well planned in advance.

Guest boettger

There is a wonderful Restroration show on the DIY Channel Friday Nights called Classic Car Restoration. It's only a 1/2 hour show and in multi parts. They've done some interesting projects including an Alfa, Corvette, Camaro and a Packard Coupe. It can get a bit dull, and sometimes over simplified, but is one of my favorite shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... 57 Chev--all could be done on a compressed timeline and come out authentic and probably a consistent show winner in a 400 point system. </div></div>

But when you're done you still are stuck with a <span style="font-style: italic">1957 chevrolet</span>! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif [retch, gag, cough, barf]

Having said that, I hope you'll excuse me - I feel the need to shower! crazy.gifcool.gif

Guest BillP

There is a show, maybe the one Steve is referring to, from the UK where the guy has rebuilt an old Triumph (or maybe a BSA) twin m/c, an E-type jag, and he built a small helo from a kit. Fun show to watch; I only watch accidentally and see half the shows or less. The restores progress over a number of episodes and I imagine they could be bought on video.

There was a fairly bland series on maybe about 10 or so years ago, possibly on public TV, following the step-by-step restoration of a '65 (I think) Mustang notchback (they even spent time covering what kind of car to select to restore, and went around and evaluated several candidates). I don't recall the name of the series, but I think Eastwood was the major underwriter. It was good viewing and spent the time to discuss a lot of the nitty-gritty type details that we never hear about in the "overhaulin'" type shows (which I find kind of frustrating to watch, since so much originality is trashed in their "restorations"). For me, the most interesting parts of those shows are the (apparent) human drama of when stuff doesn't go right (the show with Boyd and the American Chopper guys shows are also good for that--someone's always good and p.o.'d...). Anyway, obviously that old restoration show didn't set the world on fire (like "overhaulin'" et al, obviously are), and it is long since forgotten (by most of us anyway).

Guess I watch something else when MG is on most of the time. Did see a rerun Rides episode I'd missed last nite about Jay Leno's 66 Toronado built that took several months. Dam, did you see some of his collection and that garage complex?

shocked.gif

Just realized something very primary. They have more than a curory idea of what they're going to need for any car they're reworking. No doubt the vehicles are looked at clandestindly with the assistance of the family member in on the subtrefuge and a parts list is made so they're all ready for it when the schedule to shoot that show is on tap. If we had a stock resto the parts could be sourced out first also and the car assembled quickly I quess.

I recall one show where they stopped work an all other jobs at a body shop to do the feature car which was attacked with manpower. Big $$$.