"Me & My Buick" - 1953 Super Riv...

huffreport

Hi all,

I just now noticed the "Me and My Buick" section, so I thought I'd post a quick story... Basically, a while back I went to look at a car with my dad, and as luck would have it, the car was located only about a half a mile from home! It turns out the car, a '53 Super Riv, was parked under some big trees, and a big branch had fallen on it in a really bad storm. The roof was damaged, some windows were busted, and the guy was wanting to sell it... Basically, it was a give-away price, as he had already gotten his $$ out of it through his insurance company... So, we were assuming it was nothing more than a parts car, but after seeing her, I started thinking this car had some life left in her. I bought her, and in about 12 months she was back on the road, and looking better than she'd probably looked in about 30 years. (After a major cash infusion!) One of the previous owners had already started to customize this car, so I decided against trying to do a proper resto, instead opting for a very subtle custom treatment. In the end, I'm glad I chose this route, as it opened up some color & interior options for me, resulting in a car that looks maybe a little better than it might have if I'd attempted to go the "original" route. (Honest, I DO prefer properly restored cars, but someone had already monkeyed with this one, so I didn't have much choice.) Anyway, I've had some fun with this car, but also some heartaches... I have a short story, with many photos, if you care to read more... Here's the link:

http://www.huffreport.com/buick3.htm

She'll be back on the road in the very near future, as springtime is getting close...

Kevin