FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY! Barn Find Picture posted

West Peterson

Guest imported_jmarsicano

O yeah diz, it only takes a little exhaust fumes to get me going. Not to mention 455 cubic inches of exhaust fumes.

Always liked those jags.

Now I have to go clean the sprinter for the motorramma this weekend. One project at a time...one project at a time...one project at a time....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diz, the best thing for that Jag is to gut it and replace the running gear with Vette!

Whip.gif </div></div>

NOT in an E-Type! Maybe in an XJ sedan. I think the business in John's Kitties or something. He has been advertising in Hemmings for decades

120,000 dimes. But its location is secret until I've exhausted all possible ways of purchasing it myself. It may not be worth that much, but it is to me since there isn't any rust repair involved. I've seen people pay half that price but for rusty junk. Plus it comes with a new rubber set, NOS exhaust tips and an extra set of correct wheels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diz, the best thing for that Jag is to gut it and replace the running gear with Vette!

Whip.gif </div></div>

speechless-smiley-034.gif

It never ceases to amaze me that there is no end of "automotive experts" who think that 150+ mph Jaguars have weak engines. It would be funny if it didn't cause so many valuable, finely built (yes, at that time they <span style="font-style: italic">were</span> well made cars--same goes for the Healeys that occasionally suffer this fate) didn't wind up sad, soon to be neglected street rods worth 1/3 of their potential. ...and they're usually slower, too.

It does make for a lot of entertaining giggling at British car shows, though. Like clockwork every year some guy will show up at the larger shows expecting everyone to be impressed with his "work" and/or "concept". He usually leaves after about an hour. smirk.gif

No one ever sees the car again. frown.gif

My experience is with restoring an XK 150 roadster and owning my XK 140 Drophead since 1968. These engines and drive trains are very sturdy, no reason why anyone should ever replace one with a V-8. On the other hand, if you assembled a team of engineers and set them the task of designing a car that would rust as rapidly as possible you would come up with something closely resembling an early Jag. There was a time in my life when I thought I just couldn't live without an XK-E. I got over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked the looks of the early E-Type with the covered headlights. I've never understood why they sit so high, if any car begged to sit 6 inches lower it is the E-Type. </div></div>

The E-Type's ground clearance is 5.5 inches. shocked.gifblush.gifconfused.gifsmirk.gif

The height at the roof peak is 4 ft. 1/8 in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked the looks of the early E-Type with the covered headlights. I've never understood why they sit so high, if any car begged to sit 6 inches lower it is the E-Type. </div></div>

The E-Type's ground clearance is 5.5 inches. shocked.gifblush.gifconfused.gifsmirk.gif

The height at the roof peak is 4 ft. 1/8 in. </div></div>

Not a bad guesss on my part was it? Off by ONE INCH and that was from memory not a computer search! smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I bought a 1976 XJ V12 Two door coupe at a yard sale for $200.00 thought my ship had come in and I'd make a killing on it. The local English panel maker stopped by to look at it, got on his back reached under it got up quickly and headed for his car. Set a record for least time spent looking at one of my cars. Finally sold the rear axle (with the car attached to it) to a Street Rodder for $350.00. grin.gif

Yep most of the sedans end up much better with Corvette motive power. Hehehe! Few but the most devoted Jag afficianado would care to bear the expense of rebuilding the XKE engine and it's attendant 19th century electrical system. If you look at what modified (dare I say hot rodded?) cars are going for these days they eclipse all but the more rare original and restored to stock cars.

I recall when I worked at <span style="font-style: italic">Road & Track</span> the owner survey comments that were sent in from Jag owners. OUCH! shocked.gif

Guest imported_Dwight V.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the other hand, if you assembled a team of engineers and set them the task of designing a car that would rust as rapidly as possible you would come up with something closely resembling an early Jag. </div></div>

Funny, my Mini doesn't look anything like a Jag. smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep most of the sedans end up much better with Corvette motive power. Hehehe! Few but the most devoted Jag afficianado would care to bear the expense of rebuilding the XKE engine and it's attendant 19th century electrical system. If you look at what modified (dare I say hot rodded?) cars are going for these days they eclipse all but the more rare original and restored to stock cars.

</div></div>

There are rods that are appropriate (and appropriately valuable). There are even more rods that are pure crapola (by several orders of magnitude, I'd imagine). For every <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Scrape"</span></span> there are a thousand cookie-cutter '35 Ford-olet 2-door sedans with turquoise/peach monochromatic paint jobs, cheap 15-inch American Racing wheels and a wheezing 30-year-old 350/350 combination. Have you seen some of the crap that shows up to local cruise nights? Hyper-valuable pro-built rods are one-in-ten thousand.

An E-Type with anything but original Jaguar mechanicals underneath is a worthless automobile, I don't care what the Barrett-Jackson kooks think. This is one place where "resto-mods" have no place. In stock condition, these are still fine road cars, up to the test of driving in modern traffic and delivering thrilling performance, even compared to modern benchmarks. A well-restored E-type can be a reliable and affordable daily driver, too (check out some of the work at Classic Jaguar for a taste of these great cars). Who wants a vintage Jag that doesn't look/smell/act/drive like a vintage Jag? Isn't that the point of having an old car?

I think too many people lose sight of the fact that part of the charm of an old vehicle is the fact that it is an old vehicle--and the baggage it brings is part of the fun. Hell, if you want something that looks old but acts modern, buy a stupid PT Cruiser or that ridiculous Chevy SSR.

If you want Corvette running gear in a low-slung 2-seat coupe with a fully independent suspension, buy a damned Corvette! But cutting up an E-type will result in a car worth less than the sum of its parts, I guarantee it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">West,</span> buy that damned Jag--it'll be the best time you've ever had restoring and driving an old car.

PS: <span style="font-weight: bold">West</span>, one other thing: Is there anyone at<span style="font-weight: bold"> Cars & Parts</span> I can contact about your offer to write a monthly column there? I'm kind of bummed that fell through when you left...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...Few but the most devoted Jag afficianado would care to bear the expense of rebuilding the XKE engine and it's attendant 19th century electrical system. If you look at what modified (dare I say hot rodded?) cars are going for these days they eclipse all but the more rare original and restored to stock cars.

I recall when I worked at <span style="font-style: italic">Road & Track</span> the owner survey comments that were sent in from Jag owners. OUCH! shocked.gif </div></div>

I you attend a couple of high end British car shows (there's generally at least one good one in every size city or state once a year). You'll change your tune on every one of these statements (especially the part about valuable rodded Jags! tongue.gif).

Also, if you want the defining difference between most <span style="font-style: italic">Road & Track</span> readers and real enthusiasts it's this: real enthusiasts understand and can work on their cars, not just marvel at driving them. Jags are definately not for those unprepared to use a Uni-Syn! (They do repay in exponential amounts those who take the time to learn such things, however! cool.gif )

My cars are a '60 Buick (not a '58, what you see is a favorite album cover of mine) and a '70 TR6. However my interests are far wider, more so than my pocketbook would ever allow! smirk.gif