Standard Transmission Fluid

Guest billmeyer

Guest imported_billmeyer

I want to be sure I am using the right fluid in the standard transmission of my 1950 Dodge Wayfarer (fluid drive but not "Gyro-Matic"). I believe the standard tranny uses SAE80-90 gear oil. Correct? The Gyro-Matic uses 30W motor oil but the Wayfarer is the standard 3 speed and not Gyro-Matic. Appreciate your response.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

The standard transmissions used gear lube 90

If your car has the M-6 transmission then you use 10W non-detergent in both the transmission and fluid unit.

Guest imported_billmeyer

Thanks for your response. Fortunately, I do not have the M-6 Transmission that shared oil between the tranny & engine. I'll go with the oil as you recommend. It's sure nice to be able to get knowledgable advice like yours.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

Actually the M-6 transmission was seperate from the engine oil. There were 2 places to fill with oil for the transmission...the fluid unit...approx 8 qts, and the transmission itself, which took just a few pints.

BvR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RustyBolt

I'm new to this forum, And not very mechanical, so please be forgiving:

I have a 50 wayfarer as well, just thought I'd ask a couple of things.

I have a fluid drive as well, was there another type other than a M6. Is there an easy way to tell for sure if what I have is the M6 (just hate to put the wrong fluid in it). While I'm here, wheres the best place to get info about the fluid drives. The shop manual is pretty limitted. My Tranny seems to work just fine now, just trying to "smarten up" for when the day comes.

Thanks

Guest imported_billmeyer

Thanks to everyone who replied. The 1950 Dodge Wayfarer (the cheapest model in the line) did not have the M-6 tranny (in the Dodge line, this was referred to as "Gyro-matic') as it was only available in the Meadowbrook and Coronet models. The Wayfarer had a standard 3 speed manual shift tranny, the only difference being the fluid drive unit between the engine and tranny rather than a mechanical coupling between the engine and transmission. Thus, the Wayfarer uses the SAE 80-90 gear oil; the "Gyro-matic" would use the 30 weight non-detergent. Thanks for the input and help in clarifying this for me!