Seat Belts

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I will be adding seat belts to Buttercup before heading out to Batavia.

Here is what I am looking at buying. One of my 54's have belts, not sure if they are original, but they are certainly period correct. These are the closest I have found they come in the correct color and the price is reasonable.I'll likely buy some of the roll up thingys from Kanter. Anybody else have any suggestions.

seat belts

any other thoughts will be appreciated

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Mr. Earl,

I have bought many old style aircraft type lap belts from Dan's Classics, 503-234-6674 for all of my antique cars. They are $20 per set, and they are brand new and look correct for the peroid.

Scott Mich

BCA # 6619

scott@earlmich.com

Lamar,

I got lap belts with the airplane style latch from julianos (mentioned above) for my Wildcat. I also splurged for their rounded mounting plate thingys (technical term, sorry). I'm considering putting some in my 55 just to try to be safer, although I doubt anything but a shoulder belt is safe, and I they just look wrong, and I've always worn my seat belt, and I just found the comma on my computer, and I like using it,,,,, grin.gif

Mike

Guest imported_MrEarl

Great Scott, (not as in GREAT SCOTT but as in alright Scott)sounds like a good buy, I'll check them out.

BTW, while I've got ya, I hope you enjoy that NOS speedo cable you won on eBay in the last minutes last night. mad.gifwink.gif I had been watching that for days, no bids, started clicking off and on to it in the last 15 minutes and d_ _ _ _ _ if I didn't dozze off and opened my eyes to see 47 seconds and 1 bid. I entered my bid and of all times for friggin eBay to make you sign in AGAIN they did and bang what do I see but "sorry, bidding has ended for this item". I like to have choked my mouse to death!!!! But then I saw who got it and thought Oh well, at least it's going to a good home!!! And before you say it, I know already...ya snooze, ya looze. wink.gif

Guest Andynator

Lamar,

Look around for Andover Restraint on the web, I don't have the bookmark right now. These are what I'm planning to buy when I get to that point. They also have a nice page showing how to correctly & safely mount and what is required.

Andy

Guest 70 Electra

I bought belts for my 60 Buick at http://www.rt66restorationsupplies.com/seatbelt.htm

They offer both modern-looking narrow plate mounting (belt is doubled over at the loop) and the 50-60s aftermarket "sister hook" type.

Color match was closer to my interior than what Andover offered, and I wanted to get the 50's style "sister hook" floor attachments. Aside from looking more period-correct than the flat plate mounting, the eye-bolt mounting is almost invisible on the floor and the belts can be easily removed at shows, if you wish.

Another factor is length. These guys have both 60 and 74" belt lengths. Many of the $20 places sell only the 74" which is waaay too long for the back seat...at least in a 59-up car.

MrEarl... do you know about services like this that can automate those "last second" chores on eBay? I've used them for about a year now, and have had nary and issue. It helps keep costs down by preventing other folks from doing that emotional bidding thing that seems to happen on some auctions. It places the bid for me, within the last 10-12 seconds, whether I'm awake, asleep, playing with the kids, workin' on Bessie... whatever. I know some folks don't like the idea of what it does, but I certainly don't mind paying 25 cents to have something kick of a timed event for me. You still have to put in the max of what you're willing to bid, no different than if I was sitting there doing it myself during the last minutes of the auction.

Just my 2 cents.

Budd

Guest bkazmer

You're right, some folks don't like it - it eliminates competitive bidding by not surfacing until there is no time for other bids.

• 4 weeks later...

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

I've recently started on a project (not a Buick though) and was considering forking out $300 for a set of seat belts. I don't have the money for an original restoration job, and the car was quite modified before I acquired it (actually its still my dad's but he told me he'd give it to me if I fixed it) so I didn't care one bit if the belts were not historically accurate.

I'll be able to do it for about $100 now! And now that I have a source for seat belts I can also go ahead and order a carpet! I just wanted belts before I did carpeting!

THIS IS AWESOME THANKS GUYS!

I found this thread through Google, and I'll definately have to look around more on this forum