1954 Special Model 49 Estate Wagon?

gbiggers

I have the chance to buy one of these in complete running, but not driveable condition...(from the original owner). The car has a little rust...it needs everything but could definitely be saved. Anyone interested?

The question:

Is this car something that folks here would consider a practical project? The sale price $800.00

Please educate me. Glen in TN.

I think that there would absolutely be interest in such a car. Wagons from the 1950's are enjoying significant demand right now, and the '54 Buick wagons are seldom seen. A good restorable wagon would make a great project.

There will be a fully-restored '54 Buick wagon offered at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson auction, and it will be interesting to see what kind of bidding activity it generates.

Centurion...Thanks for the reply...with funds to keep my present cars on the road spread pretty thin...I hate to purchase something that no one else would care to restore...If purchased, my goal would be to store it until someone else wanted to take on the project or till I could get to it. At the very least perhaps it could be used for parts to restore other 54's.

It seems there are more cars available then we can handle. There were only roughly 1600 of these cars available. I am wondering what you mean by "needs everything", but also you mention "would be a good parts car". Do you mean everything, or most everything is there and needs a total restoration? With minimal rust, especially frame and floor pans, undercarriage, the car seems worth restoration and the asking price, it seems well worth it, especially if the engine can be running with little problem.

I am hoping to hear about two later year wagons, but might find this one of interest. If these fall through and depending on its condition, this one would be of interest to me.

Keep us posted if you take it or not and perhaps post for a re-sale. I agree, there are not many restored 50s wagomns around, and it will be interesting to see what B-J auction brings. That should give us all an idea what they will be worth restored.

John

To clarify:The Wagon is complete down to the wheel covers, all trim and bright work is still attached, the car has no collision damage. The engine has been started every week, but I doubt it is drivable.The car has some rust through at the rear doors (dog leg area), hood edge, and a small amount in the front floors. These areas would need patch panels. The entire car has surface rust on top. All glass is there,(1 is broken). Upholstery is all there but tattered. The frame is clean.

Originally white with a black top. Like I said all parts are still attached, but they will require repair or replacement. The car will require a complete restoration!

Guest my3buicks

Glen, as others have said, the 50's Buick wagons are enjoying some good prices in the marketplace and collector appeal seems to be growing steadily on wagons in general. I think a wagon done well would be a nice peice of Buick history to own, and one that should be able to be turned over without much effort if the time came.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Glen, you're a better man than I if you let consideration of when you will have time to "fix it" stand in the way of purchasing a car you really love.(As evidenced by my overloaded barns of 54 Roadmasters.) Regrettably there were no 1954 Roadmaster Estate Wagons produced.However, I find the styling of the Specials and Century's more than pleasing enough to make me very desirous of obtaining one. Therefore I would be intested in possibly replacing one of my 4 door Roadmasters with this wagon if you decide not to persue it or would be so inclined to sell it to me for a small grin.gif profit.

Please PM me if so.

Yes, please sell it to Mr. Earl! That way the car isn't going anywhere, and he'll be storing it until I save enough money to get it from him! smirk.gifgrin.gif

That seems the best solution for all concerned--the car get's saved, you don't have to worry about having one more on the burner, Earl gets ANOTHER '54 Buick to keep the weeks down on his farm, and I get storage until I can bring the car home! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I really would LOVE this car, but I won't be in a position to get or enjoy it for a year.

-Brad

Guest sintid58

did anyone buy this car. For $800 i can pay for it all i have to do is figure out a way to get it home and I do have plenty of storage.

Yes, I am curious too. I had the impresion that Glen Biggers was thinking if he should buy it or not. It seeems there a number of people interested and once we know if Mr. Biggers has boughtb it and wants to keep it or resale, we should go from there.

John

Glad to see there are others who feel this car should be saved! In a week or two I should have it safely home. At that point I will do a little "soul searching" and decide if I should keep it or move it on to someone who actually has the intestinal fortitude to get the car done.

No worries fellas, If I don't keep it, it won't be marked

up for a big profit...It will sold "worth the money" Glen