Me and my 81 Skylark Convertible

wroberts

So what do you classic Buick guys think of my project?

635028_1.jpg

635028_6.jpg

Obviously It's been done by a Coachworks Company. American Custom Coachworks in this case. I've had it sense Nov of 2003. I redid the brakes and suspension and she drives great. For some more details check out my web page

I've thought about joining the Buick Club of America, but as mine doesn't seem to fit "Classic" label that seems to be 1969 and older. But I was able to get Classic Car Insurance for it from Hagerty.

What do you guys think?

wroberts, thanks for sharing your very interesting Skylark. I assume that this conversion was made when the car was new?

I must confess that I've always liked the Skylark X-Body, particularly the 1980 and 1981 models. (I purchased an '80 new.)

The Buick Club of America welcomes all Buicks and enthusiasts. At our national meets, all Buicks older than twelve years old are eligible for judging, so your Buicks fit right in. I hope you will join.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I assume that this conversion was made when the car was new? </div></div>

Yes it was. Heres the badge

635028_34_full.jpg

I've tried contacting ACC, but all thier old records were destoyed in a flood. I've done some research in the company ACC History but this is the ONLY Buick model that I've been able to find any record of them doing.

I also belong to a X-Body Club but I'm the only Skylark.

My ride isn't up to judging yet, but it's coming along pretty good. I recently found new bumpers that are flawless (used) and have the impact strips intact, and taillights with all the chrome intact.

BTW London, Ontario has loads of RUST FREE older cars, 70's, 80's stuff I haven't seen anywhere. Thats where I found my Skylark parts.

By all means you should join the Buick Club. We are always looking for cars like yours that has a special hisory. Plus, anyone with any Buick can join - heck you don't even need to own a Buick to join. You just need to like Buicks. Next year when the 20006 models are issued, your car will meet the 25 year criteria to be an antique. By joining the BCA you get a fantastic monthly magazine and have access to lots of Buick parts vendors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it!! I saw one on ebay a few weeks ago (maybe longer) that was also a 80s Sklark 2dr convertible conversion (brown with tan vinyl interior)but I think it was an 82 or newer. That was the first one I'd ever seen so yours makes at least 2! Anyone ever seen any others?? </div></div>

I beleive this is the one you were talking about.

635028_23.jpg

I've also seen 1 other X-Body Vert, but it was an Olds

635028_25.jpg

If anybody does know of any others. I'd love some pictures. I'll post them here.

Thanks for the enthusiastic responce. I'll sign-up

• 1 month later...

Well I signed up. I faxed the registration form in to 614-472-3222. But still waiting on a responce. (I forgot to add my email address)

I'm also wondering what you guys think about a change to the front end.

635028_38_full.jpg

I had a budy of mine chop a 80 grill onto my 81. I have them sitting side by side. The 81 is on the left and the 80 is on the right. Which one do you guys like? I've posted a poll on my site

Let me know what you think. I given up on keeping it strickly 81 as I've found out the the doors are from a 83+ Skylark. This is what they should look like

635028_27.jpg

But mine look like

635028_4.jpg

The mirrors are wrong.