1942 Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette

Does anyone have a photo of the 42 Roadmaster Sedanette, 1st year for bodystyle? I know where there is one and I am making an attempt to re-contact the seller. Does anyone out there own one for comment or photos? The reason is because the one I am looking at is incomplete in so far as some trim, and I believe this is one year only trim. It's missing at least one front hub but a 46-48 ought to work for those needs. Date coded motor is there. Obviously needs complete restoration.

How many estimated left? Is this a good restoration candidate from the stewardship angle (that is, worthy to restore so we have examples in the club) and does anyone have a Roster that indicates how many are in the club now?

Thanks

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

Bryan, this is definitely a car that is worth preserving. The low production of the '42 models makes them quite unique. You are correct that some of the trim is unique to the '42, but I suspect that it can be located.

I do not have the membership roster from 2003 handy, but I see that you're a BCA member. If you have the roster, you should be able to determine how many were in the club at that time.

According to my sources, they made 2471 Roadmaster sedanettes in 1942. From photos, it seems that the '42s had unique trim along the fenders--two strips of chrome instead of one following the war (though it looks like the post-war Specials retained two strips). I'll try to scan in the photos I'm looking at (they appear to be factory publicity photos, from the Dammann <span style="font-style: italic">70 Years of Buick</span> book). In addition, I'm only seeing one other such animal listed in the '03 Roster, so it is definitely a rare car worth saving.

If you buy the car, please join us at the Dual Carb Registry, too (link in my signature).

Hope this helps and good luck!

The front and rear fender horizontal trim strips (about an inch wide, behind the wheel openings) are unique to the '42s. The only person I know of in the BCA who owns a 1942 Roadmaster sedanet is my friend Carl Finer, 33 Haven Road, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He will be listed in the BCA roster--longtime BCA member. It is a running, driving, relatively low-mileage car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Thanks for the inputs. I do not have the last BCA roster book so that is why I needed assistance. This car I am considering appeared in a Hemmings years ago and the seller is in North Dakota. I am a younger guy (now 41, then 34) and my interest drifted to the 60's cars and a muscle car from Oldsmobile. I've come back around - I jsut can't get away from the classic era through 1949.

Any way, as my interests fluctuated, I threw away contact information but always remembered his name was Steve Jorgenson from North Dakota. So this past weekend I did an Interenet Google search and an article came up from the Fargo ND newspaper about a Steve Jorgenson in Ransom County and his stash of cars. They even had photos. So on the right track, I used "Find a person" type search services to determine a Steve Jorgenson lived in Lisbon, North Dakota & that sounded right to me. So I sent an inquiry letter out on Monday. I hope it's the same guy.

I am pretty much positive now my future projects will be from the 40's only. I have a 45 and a 49 GMC truck now, and just agreed to trade for a 49 Roadmaster Sedanette. I also like the Cadillacs of this period and I have located close by a 42 Cadillac Sedanette and in Kansas 2 Cadillac Limos 1941 and 1947 I have always wanted. So it's kind of important to flesh out this 42 Roadmaster Sedanette and see if it's still there. The price was $1200 and it was complete except for some of the rare trim and the front hubs. The body was North dakota straight and rust free.

I'll keep everyone posted. I also try to inter-weave stewardship in my purchases if possible. One of the Cadillac limousines I am interested in is a series 67 with a very low 200 production. I have never seen another 42 Roadmaster sedanette. I have seen Supers and Specials. There was a seller in California trying to move 2 Limiteds - but i couldn't get together with him on shipping.

Thanks

Bryan Moran

• 3 years later...
Guest gatchel

i actually have one. I bought the car off of the nephew of the original owner. It only has 43,000 miles. i drove it over the wkend 104 miles. i cant figure how to attach a pic, will do as soon as i figure it out.

• 1 year later...
I cant figure how to attach a pic, will do as soon as i figure it out

To add images on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the to row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

Have also read there is a limit of 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView - Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

• 6 months later...