Best Muscle car from 1963-1971 ERA

Hemiragtop

Dizzy,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my Belvedere, I hope we meet up at the 2005 Hershey show. Brillant minds must think a like, LOL I just looked at a Perfect 66 427 Fairlane ,with 800 miles!!! It's one of my all time favorite muscle cars, I didn't purchase it, the price seemed very fair in my opinion for what he was asking (80,000) it was a perfect car, 4 speed to boot just a little out of my budget..........so I bought a 70 440 Six Pack 4 speed Charger R/T instead. grin.gif

The attachment from my last post was when we went to Rockingham Drag Strip with the NC Drivers Region. While we are throwing about names, only one faster than me was Dick Jones, formerly one of the Ramchargers, with a '66 Hemi Satelitte. I was only woman to take a car down the strip. When I lined it up, comments were made about 'the poweder-puff racer'. I shut him down when I did a better time than his Cuda. Oh well. Sometimes you just got to DO & not talk. wink.gif

THAT IS ONE SUPER CHALLENGER !!!

my brothers Challenger had a story that went like this.we were told that it was a preproduction Challenger that had been taken around to the race tracks to promote them. he bought the car in like 1977,remember they were just cars back then and we used it for fun (you know what i mean). in the early 80s he restored the whole car and did a big engine build up , it was the baddest car in town but the fun was then gone. it was so bad knowone would play with him and he was to afraid of braking something so it was then sold. (i have know idea of where it would be today).

i do remember that all the locks on this challenger were fake ! you could stick a house key or a knife in any of them and they would unlock ! ! !

it also seems to me that the six pack was a mechanical set-up and i think the production cars worked off of a vaccum set-up ( one way or the other).

i think he let one get away that could be priceless today.

thanks,

matt wilson

check out,

http://www.joiesjeeps.com/scrambler.html

FREEDOM = AMC

also check this out. go back to home and you will find some nice Mopar paintings, http://www.dannywhitfield.com/scrambler

PS. johnny lighting that makes the little Diecast cars is going to replicate my Hurst SC/rambler grin.gif sometime in the next two years. i have their letter of reply stating this. keep your eyes open so you can get one.

cool cars!

one of the cars i learend to drive on was a 1956 Chrysler Crown Imperial ! ! !

this was a great car, black with black and pink interior. the powerstering was unreal in this thing, turn it with your little finger with no effort while it was sitting still. i remember that push button transmission like it were yesterday.

matt sc/rambler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mopars?? You can't rule out the Plymouth Superbird. Back in the 60's & 70's King Richard made Mopar famous, so there are a lot of those cars that he drove in race car form that won a lot of races.

On the Ford side you had the Thunderbolt with people like Holman & Moody, Carroll Shelby, and Bud Moore that had made their share of history as well.

On the GM side you had the big block Chevelles.

Dear Pat,I think you need a web-site like Matt to spread your car news.I think EVERYONE would enjoy the TRIALS and TRIBULATIONS of the Nelson and Pat Thorpe restorations.I wont even tell ANYONE about the wrench throwin....THERE is wrench throwin isn't there? I KNOW at MY garage it occurs once and awhile.diz tongue.gifsmile.giflaugh.gif

I love em all, but of course am partial to the 67 GTO out in my garage! Cant count the times I've seen the tail-lights of a hemi, and a few other cars of the era, but nothing beats the sound, sight and feel of my GOAT! If I could go back a few years and pick a stable-mate for it, it would be one of the Nikey or Yenko Cameros. But if you recall those days, a big factor was back-seat room. And I'll leave that part of the discussion alone!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

very nice Chevelle!!!!!!!!

i was invited in to see a private collection of muscle cars somewhere in W.Va. the other day.

i must tell you these cars are nice and the garage floor is even heated.

he wants to buy my (B) paint Hurst SC/rambler to add to his collection but i'm not ready to let it go. took me 22 years to get a nice one.

]http://www.classiccar.com/photopost/showgallery.php?photo=1243 cool.gif

i/m so glad to see the (A) paint scheme Hurst SC/rambler parked in here with all these super rare Gaint musclecars ! ! ! ! (it belongs there also)

these guys are on a whole different level of the game then i'am but i'm having every bit as much fun ! ! !

see my SC/RAMBLER and they history of these great cars below,

http://www.joiesjeeps.com/scrambler.html

thanks,

matt

FREEDOM = AMC

Just curious- would anyone here NOT consider the 64 GTO the beginning of the muscle cars? I had conversations with others- not here- and there is a blurring of muscle car, personal luxury and full size performance cars these days in retrospect. The GTO began something that was followed up by others the next year in a true marketing trend. That I feel is the key. Anything before that did not, was not in my perception.

confused.gif

• 9 years later...
Guest Graham Clayton

Seeing that there are a few Mopar fans who have posted to this thread, they should enjoy this photo of my favourite Australian muscle car from the 1963-1971 era - the 1971 Chrysler VH Valiant E/49 Charger:

post-88629-143142473501_thumb.jpg

Just curious- would anyone here NOT consider the 64 GTO the beginning of the muscle cars? I had conversations with others- not here- and there is a blurring of muscle car, personal luxury and full size performance cars these days in retrospect. The GTO began something that was followed up by others the next year in a true marketing trend. That I feel is the key. Anything before that did not, was not in my perception.

confused.gif

I would go along with the GTO as starting the muscle car era. But would not overlook such predecessors as the Corvair Monza.

In 1968 I was16. Bought a 1965 Impala S.S. convertible.

Triple black 409 400 4 speed. Only option was a tach. Paid 409 dollars.

A dollar per cubes. The guy had lost his driving rites. This car won many street races in Det. Dad really knew how to make a 409 run. It was the fastest car in school at the time in 10th grade.

I have owned the following higher performance general motors cars, 1957 oldsmobile 98 starfire holiday four door with the 300 hp J2, 1957 oldsmobile golden rocket 88 holiday coupe with the 300 hp J2, 1960 Pontiac Bonneville two door hardtop with the tri-power set up, 1962 Pontiac grand prix with the tri-power set up, 1962 chevy corvair Monza syder coupe, 1966 Pontiac GTO tri-power, 4 speed, 3.55 posi hardtop, 1967 chevy chevelle SS396 4 speed hardtop, and a 1969 Pontiac grand prix model J special ordered 370 hp 428 engine, and a 1971 chevy monte carlo SS454. the GTO was the muscle car, the monte carlo SS454 was fun to drive, most people didn't know such a beast existed, and didn't know how to spot one. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

OK all. Try again. Best Muscle car. Let's exclude the factory lightweights, sports cars, Pony Cars, Full size cars. Let's also forget about the first muscle car too... A 49-51 Oldsmobile "A" body is a full size car and so is a C-300. They are not Muscle Cars.

Just Muscle cars only = Big engine in a intermediate. And technically you could order a 427 Fairlane or Comet, getting one back then you really needed to know someone. That goes for most of the Mopars too.

We've been down this dusty country lane many times before, and it's kinda like it was back in the 60s when us muscle car guys went cruzin. We'd gather somewhere at a drive-in or parking lot and admire each others cars. Occasionally, someone would smoke some tires to show off, but it was always about all of them and I love them all. Hemis, 442s, Shelby's, 409s, 396s, etc.etc. Wish I had a big garage and lotza bucks. All rise now for the anthem - "little GTO, youre really looking fine - 3 duces and a four speed, and a 389..."

OK all. Try again. Best Muscle car. Let's exclude the factory lightweights, sports cars, Pony Cars, Full size cars. Let's also forget about the first muscle car too... A 49-51 Oldsmobile "A" body is a full size car and so is a C-300. They are not Muscle Cars.

Just Muscle cars only = Big engine in a intermediate. And technically you could order a 427 Fairlane or Comet, getting one back then you really needed to know someone. That goes for most of the Mopars too.

post-78906-143142477998_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

1969 Dodge Super Bee Six Pack. A12 car. Although I am a Ford man to the marrow, if I had to choose just one to own it would be the aforementioned.

In 1968 I was16. Bought a 1965 Impala S.S. convertible.

Triple black 409 400 4 speed. Only option was a tach. Paid 409 dollars.

A dollar per cubes. The guy had lost his driving rites. This car won many street races in Det. Dad really knew how to make a 409 run. It was the fastest car in school at the time in 10th grade.

'65 was the last year for the 409, in '66 the 396 became available. but I understand 396 was really 402 cu.in.

1965 was the last year for the 409, in '66 the 396 became available. but I understand 396 was really 402 cu.in.

1st have year the 409-400/409-340 was the option. Most were poweglide 340HP cars. That's why mine was so rare.

The 19651/2 mid year change was the 396-325/ 396-425.

We've been down this dusty country lane many times before, and it's kinda like it was back in the 60s when us muscle car guys went cruzin. We'd gather somewhere at a drive-in or parking lot and admire each others cars. Occasionally, someone would smoke some tires to show off, but it was always about all of them and I love them all. Hemis, 442s, Shelby's, 409s, 396s, etc.etc. Wish I had a big garage and lotza bucks. All rise now for the anthem - "little GTO, youre really looking fine - 3 duces and a four speed, and a 389..."

You must have lived a sheltered life. For my buddies and I it went like this; We'd gather at some shopping center or car hop, choose or be challenged to a race, lay the money down to a neutral party, go to one of our many places to race and have at it. The idea was why spend all that money on something if you don't use it. We used it. Made some good money on weekends. I was racing the father of the GTO, it also had three duces and a four speed and a 389 and on the street and track it was just as fast as a well prepped GTO.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

I bought this in 1968 for 400.00. I was 16 at the time in 10th grade. The area is Detroit. 2nd home is Woodward Ave. Home of the Super Dream cruise every August. 30K plus cars and a million people. 1965 Impala SS convertible, triple black with 20k miles. 409-400 4 speed. After a lot of work from high up people at the GM Tech Center, the car ran 12s with 7in slicks. The car weighed 4100lbs. Beat a many Mopaers including a few Hemi's. HEHE.

Not actual pictures of the car. 

1965-409 (9).jpg

2017-05-18 08_17_21-1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible 283 CI, Protect-O-Plate _ Lot T173 _ Indy 2.png

2017-05-18 08_18_10-1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible 283 CI, Protect-O-Plate _ Lot T173 _ Indy 2.png

2017-05-18 08_18_35-1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible 283 CI, Protect-O-Plate _ Lot T173 _ Indy 2.png

2017-05-18 08_18_55-1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible 283 CI, Protect-O-Plate _ Lot T173 _ Indy 2.png

17100bb66b9f303268117ae49691ba1e.jpg

187667-tach.jpg

361311_d42fb95255_low_res.JPG

3383166_c8cae5e420_low_res.JPG

3383168_b2578850c0_low_res.JPG

3383169_570ff55f06_low_res.JPG

my all time favorite would have to be the extyremly rare 1967 impala ss427. it lists production as around 4600 units, i disagree. that year, i installed the trunk moulding on the chevy's at the wilmington plant. i used less than 2 dozen the whole year. assuming the day shift guy used about the same number, that makes it rare in my book. there is a little confusion about this because you could get a much more common super sport with a 427, but the one i'm talking about is a separate model.

40 minutes ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

my all time favorite would have to be the extyremly rare 1967 impala ss427. it lists production as around 4600 units, i disagree. that year, i installed the trunk moulding on the chevy's at the wilmington plant. i used less than 2 dozen the whole year. assuming the day shift guy used about the same number, that makes it rare in my book. there is a little confusion about this because you could get a much more common super sport with a 427, but the one i'm talking about is a separate model.

I had 2 of them. Really a great car. A few internet pictures.

67-Chevy-Impala-427-Conv-DV-12-RMSJ-i03.jpg

67-Chevy-Impala-427-Conv-DV-12-RMSJ-i011.jpg

67-Chevy-Impala-SS427-DV-10_CbS_i03.jpg

67-Chevy-Impala-SS-427-DV-10-CbS_i006.jpg

67-Chevy-SS427-DV-14-SJ_002.jpg

67-Chevy-SS427-DV-14-SJ_005.jpg

67-Chevy-SS427-DV-14-SJ_0013.jpg

674c6c85a58ce4c8e186123fbeda74f4.jpg

2017-01-10 23_08_29-1968 Chevrolet Impala SS427 _ Hemmings Motor News.png

2017-01-10 23_10_35-Photos.png

2017-01-10 23_11_20-Photos.png

2017-01-10 23_11_55-One of ..._ - 1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 - A car th _ Hemmings Motor News.png

2017-01-10 23_12_19-One of ..._ - 1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 - A car th _ Hemmings Motor News.png

2017-01-10 23_12_44-Photos.png

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1