1940 5 window Zephyr coupe

HCA

Hello, I am looking for parts for outside door handles and v12 engine and tranny and front grills and other parts.Also any info on this model as I understand that there were only 316/178 built for 1940/1941.I am an American living in Colombia,South America.Info is very hard to find down here...Thanks HCA

Actually the 5 window coupe was called a "club coupe". Records show there were 3500 built in 1940 and 3750 in 1941. The numbers you mentioned seem to be for the 3 window coupe with rear seating. I would suggest you contact Merv Adkins for the parts you need. He's listed in the "sources" section of this site. He has been very helpful. Good luck

Hello, I would like to see where you find these numbers as the sources I find indicate that in 1938 2600 3 window coupes were built and in 39,2500 and in 40,1256 and in 41,972.The first year of the 4 pass. 5 window coupe was 1940 where 316 were produced and in 1941 only 178 as this car was not so popular.The body code I am talking about is : OH6 77.XXXX. I would appreciate any info you can provide.I have been searching for sometime and have found only a few of these cars in USA and in South America. thanks HCA

the code numbers you quoting production numbers for are for body code 72. these were 3 window coupes. There was a code 72A and 72AS in 1940, body code 72A and 72B were 1941's. All 3 window coupes. The code 77 is a 5 window club coupe. These numbers were provided by the Ford Archives and published in " The Lincoln Motor Car, Sixty Years of Excellence" by Thomas Bonsall, copyright, 1981.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that starting in 1940, Lincoln produced a Club Coupe along with the 3 window coupes.

Here are the prodution figures:

1940: Mod 72A coupe, 1256; Mod 72AS coupe (4p), 316; Mod 77 club coupe, 3500

1941: Mod 72A coupe, 972 ; Mod 72B coupe(5p), 178: Mod 77 club coupe, 3750.

Here's a couple of sites that may help also.

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/linz1940.htm

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/lin1941.htm

Interesting thread.

Even though there's so much interest in the 3-window coupes, I think one could argue that they were an antiquated design by the late 30s -- heck, the last Ford 3-window was in '36.

I've always thought the Zephyr club coupes were sharp looking cars, and a very nice mix of practical and sporty. I'm surprised they didn't sell more. I actually looked at a 41 club coupe a couple years back, and it was amazingly roomy.

Good observation Cece, I have always preferred the styling of the club coupe myself, because I believe it is more aesthetically balanced than the 3 window, with it's huge looking rear deck area, which actually uses the same decklid as the club coupe, of course this is a matter of taste, and as my Granny used to say, "to each his own, said the old lady as she kissed the cow", born in 1886, but she was a sharpy, later on, Rolf

Cecil and Rolf,

One could argue the club coupe is prettier, However: The entire line of ford in 1940 was outdated. The 1940 ford had it's origins in 1938 but the Chevy for 1940 was a brand new car. GM salesmen sold that (along with mechanical ) and once again Chevy beat Ford . Customers in 1940 wanted new. But, looking at the styling today, the classic look of the late 30's Ford (esp 1940) outsell Chevy by a wide margin, and will continue to do so. As to the three window vs. club coupe, I prefer the 3 window. Long deck, BIG blind spots and all. I also know that what I wrote you already know, I'm just showing off. As for info on club coupes. There's a "way of the Zephyr" mag. on Ebay that profiles that model.

Hey Kieth, to each his own, ever drive a "knee action" Chevy?? There is an experience for you, and we used to tell the Chevy 6 guys to go paint there stovebolts green, so they could hide in the grass when the Fords went by, and remember that most back issues of TWOTZ are available from the club without all the e-bay nonsense, speaking of which, the '37 coupe Cecil mentioned a while back has sold for $16,5K I heard, who won the pool Cece??

• 7 months later...