A beginner's question

Bluesky62

Although I've owned my '62 Skylark for 17 years now, I'm just getting around to restoring it (I'm REALLY a rookie here - not much of a mechanic, never restored anything). It hasn't been driven for the last 6 years (reverse gear went south), but I think it's really in pretty good condition (body is straight, transmission now newly overhauled, engine ran like a quiet, little top) considering. What I'd like to ask this: what are the pros and cons of doing some customizing vs. trying to bring it back up to really nice "factory"? Thanks, Dave Prestage, Porterville, Ca

Guest Straight eight

If a car is customized its resale value diminishes, but if it is restored following all the ins and outs to make it exactly as it was sitting on the dealers showroom floor, its value will be much more stable. If this car is pretty original, I personally would take it back to factory standards. There are many cars in the junkyard that can be rodded, or customized. It is your car however, and you should, using reason and common sense, do what you wish wink.gif

Find a car club in your area. Go to car shows. Attend the Turlock swap on the last weekend of January. Take an auto-body or engine-building shop class at the local Junior College. Find the guys in your neighborhood who own/work on old cars. Make friends with the local restoration shop. You learn be emersion.

And when you start to actually do things, go slow, do simpler things first which will allow you to drive and enjoy the car in progress, take pics of what you take apart, keep organized, and have fun. It's a great hobby, and great people in it.

Oh, and check E-Bay on a regular basis for NOS parts.

Doug Cook

'54 Special under restoration

'24 Buick roadster rod-project (425 nailhead)

• 2 weeks later...