The story of the Vasilow's Buicks!

BUICK RACER

This will take several posts, as I have to scan alot of pictures, to complete this story, but here's the beginning! My parents, both had Buicks as their first cars, my Dad had a '39 with '41 compound carbs, my grandfather, that never drove a car said it was too fast, get rid of it. My mom had a '46 Super 2door, one of not many, she bought before she had a driver's license, she learned to drive on a '40 Ford, but that was NOT discussed much! From the story I remember is that my dad was on his way back to Army boot camp in NJ in the fog in '51 or so, and was rearended and that was the end of that one. Then he got a '50 Special, maybe the one in the picture. My Grandmother decided she needed to drive at some point around this time also. So my dad taught her how to drive in the Special, some where along the line they got a '51 Special and then when my Grandmother got her license she bought the "Pussycat", a black, 4-door Special Sedan, that she drove til she couldn't anymore. That car was never driven in the winter, and was garaged in Hudson, NY, until she went to the Nursing Home and my Aunt sold it to someone in CT, I think. If anyone has ever seen a '56 Black 4-dr Sedan, with "use only quaker state 10-30" written in the inner fender in white paint, my dad did that, then that's my grandma's car! Had over 100k I think. Went to the body shop a couple of times for dings and dents, spare was never on the ground. and had plastic seat covers for it's whole life. Ok time to stop cause here's the pics! But wait, right after my parents got married, they bought a used '56 Century 66R, Black and White for the price of what ever it weighed, alot of $$ then. That was their only car, till they moved to Owego, NY where my Dad was transfered through IBM, to work on the B-52 Radar system, more on that too. When they got to Owego, lived in a hotel for a few months. My Mom took the '56 Century to the Buick Dealer for an oil change and they but Gulf oil in it, she made them change it to Quaker State, and then that car also got the insignia written on the inner fender, I have that '56 engine in my garage, it has over 160K on it, and would probably fire up, tomorrow, if we stuck in a car! Ok End of the Blah, blah, here's the pics

scan0002.jpg

My Folks aren't sure where these pics were taken, but could have been on their honeymoon to Nova Scotia.

ME56.gif

This is an old scan of me in the '56 Century at my parent's first home on Glenwood Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY, we suspect it no longer exists.

SO that's the first blurb of Vasilow's Buick's, the rest will come in time, and if I get Chris', my little brother's Buick stories, included too, we may have to write a book, cause, nobody will believe the stories we've had, been there, done it, need to write a book! More some day after I scan some pics!

One more, when my folks finally settled in Owego, NY, they needed a second car, so they bought a '38 Special 2 door for $88, in 1957 and used it til 1971, when... well that's the rest of the story......