Help on Ignition Points Applications

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I have some NOS ignition points for GM cars but not sure what cars they fit. Here goes:

Delco, D104, 1938340 (Buick years? Others?)

GM 1154030 (Looks like equivalent to 1931988?)

Condenser, GM 1154034

Any help in what makes and models these fit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Joe, BCA 33493

Are these in a box marked GM PARTS and colored turquoise and white? The part numbersd look familiar to me as components of tune-up kits that were

marketed by GM Parts Division (now GMSPO) in the late 1970's.

The points, condenser, and spark plugs were in a overpack box marketed at

a lower price aimed at competing with the mass-merchandisers. At the time, a lot

of parts managers bought them, and broke the kits up and inventoried them under the individual part numbers to increase their profits in the parts departments.

It worked for a while as early on in the program, while all the kits used AC

spark plugs, the points and condensers were Delco-Remy. As time progressed, GM

Parts Division started using a non Delco-Remy point set and condenser in the kits. The O.E. were stamped with the circular Delco logo on both components, while the non O.E. were stamped only with the words "made in USA" on them.

Those were a lesser quality than the Delco and the technicians in the dealership

would bring them back as we saw a lot of them that had weak springs on the point

arm, and the actual tungsten contact was smaller and would burn quicker than the original equipment. Also, early on in the program, ocassionally you would get the high-performance Delco points (If memory serves me correct, the p/n was

1966289) that had the heavier contact spring on the moveable arm. slightly larger contact point, and screw terminal in place of the quick connect terminal on the 1931988 contacts. The spring at the dwell adjustment screw was a copper bronze color on the hi-po,while the standard points used a silver/chrome spring

there. We used to go through the boxes and save the hi-po's for our friends and for our cars as they were a couple of dollars higher than the standard ones, were better constructed (alignment of contacts,etc.) and seemed to last even longer than standard Delco points.

A lot of Parts Managers got stuck with these non-Delco points and condensers as I found these in two dealerships I later managed, and also when I did dealer inventories in the late 80's and early 90's there were still some of these turning up.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

GMPARTSMAN:

Yes the boxes are turquoise, black and white for the 1154030 point sets and the 1154034 condensers. One of the point sets says Delco-Remy on the the bottom of the base plate, the other says GM-Parts and there appear to be slight differences.

The other point sets are NIB Delco-Remy D-104P, 1938340. Do you know what these fit?

thanks - Joe

Yes, I forgot about the ones that were marked GM PARTS, they were a lesser

quality too in my opinion.

Regarding the other ones, I don't recognize that number. Sorry, but time diminishes memory! There were only three types of points in the kits, the regular eight cylinder type that fit all GM from 1957 to 1975, the unisets that

they started to use on eight cylinders in about 1973,(these were unitized points and condenser replaced as one unit, total scrap in my opinion also)

and four and six cylinder that shared the same points from about 1962 to 1975,

when HEI was introduced.