My "missed" 72' Electra 225 Custom 4dr

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My Buick is now gone and I miss it more than ever. Even though it is gone, I will tell my story. I had been looking for a 1971-1973 Electra for years. I had posted a want ad on the internet in early 2001. I was e-mailed by a owner of what would soon be my Electra. He said it was his fathers (a doctor) car, which he bought new in June of 1972 at Crabtree Buick-Pontiac in Bristol, VA- near the Tennessee-Virginia state line- a dealership which still sells Buicks and Pontiacs to this day. It was a late year model and they were trying to sell off the 1972s, to make way for the 1973s, so he was able to purchase this car for $5900. I think it was near $7000, before the discount. His father had deceased a few years before I bought the car. I told him I was very interested in this car, so me and my grandpa drove the 20 minute drive to look at the car. When we got there, we were led to the barn, where my beloved antique gold 1972 Electra set- covered with inches of dust and chicken droppings. shocked.gifgrin.gif. He got in the car and said it had not been started in weeks. A few pumps of the accelerator and about 2 seconds of cranking- the 455 engine came to life. He switched on the A/C and it was practially blowing out ice cubes. He said it had never required a recharge. I thought that was amazing. The interior was still like new, but when I got in and out a few times, the driver lower seat upholstry ripped a bit, but all other seating, headliner, dash and carpeting were absolutely like new. Needless to say, I bought the car, drove it home, cleaned it up and drove it. I joined this site the same month if I recall and have been here since. The only problem I remember having was the oil pressure sensor had went bad- about a 3 minute replacement. The car was starting to get surface rust on the hood and the vinyl top was getting ragged. Like a fool, instead of painting the car- I sold it and have regretted it since. The car was pretty well optioned with power windows, power locks, cruise (which still had the factory tags explaining operation- that were hanging on the signal stalk), speed alert, power seat, bumper guards, cornering lights, A/C, AM-FM, side protective strips, bumper strips and what I found out to be fairly rare- the "finger-tip" wiper control located on the end of the shifter.

I sold the car in the winter of 2002. The car did go to a good home in South Carolina however. I have not heard from the new owner in several months. I was supposed to send them that 72 Electra information that someone had sent me a while back, but I kept misplacing it. Hopefully they still have the car. I would like to know.

I think that is one reason I like my current 73' Grand Ville so much- is because it reminds me a lot of my old 72' Electra. It is about the same color (inside and out) and has the same basic styling (windows, etc), despite the Buick being a bit longer.

My other Buick was a 1992 Park Avenue- a good car, but it was no classic. In a way, I miss it as well.

Attached is a photo of my car taken in the summer of 2001 at the top of this post.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

They are not the best photos in the world, and many were deleted from my computer, but attached are more photos of my 72' Electra. I will even sneak in a few of my 73' Grand Ville- which reminds me much of my old 72' Electra. When you compare the colors, you can see why. More of the Buick to follow the Pontiac photos. Hopefully no one minds seeing a Pontiac too. grin.gif

Your '72 has features remeniscent of our '69 Electra--another car that never should have gotten away. It's interesting it was purchased new by a doctor. For some reason, Buicks were known as "the doctor's car." I suppose they had a rep for reliability that was crucial to physicians. Do you remember how many miles were on it when you sold it? It's fun to see how many miles the big Buick V8s would get without ever being opened up for major repairs.

Guest Shaffer

Yes, I agree. Do you have photos of your 69'?

I regret selling mine like you would not believe. It was such a great car- not even a speck of rust on the body (just a small bubble under the vinyl starting) and the carpeting, even on the front driverside was still absolutely like brand new. Believe it or not, it had about 104K when I bought it- even though it looked more like 60K or 70K. I only put about 5K on it. I think it had around 109K when I sold it- still running like new. In fact, the buyer drove it back from northeast Tennessee to north central South Carolina- about a 2 1/2 hour drive, without any problem. I would really like to get back in touch with the guy that bought it to see how it is doing.

All I remember is that his name is David Osborne ( I think) , from Rock Hill, South Carolina if I recall. His son was actually the one buying the car I think. It was on the "72 Electra" website for a while, until it went on the blink. I have also miplaced his e-mail. He may not even have the car any longer for all I know. Would be nice to know.

My 73' Grand Ville has 89K (around). The speedometer recently stopped working. I have put about 1K on it. I am planning on getting a new cable installed this week. Tomorrow I hope.

I really need to dig up some pictures of that '69. Truly a beautiful specimen in light yellow with a white vinyl top (almost never see that combo--most of the yellow ones seem to have black tops) soft brown vinyl interior that seemed to resist any kind of wear and tear. It showed 15,000 on the clock when my Dad brought it home to replace his '65 Electra, which I "inherited." I complimented him on finding such a low-mileage car (he bought it in winter '74 I believe). Then he told me it was a HUNDRED and fifteen thousand. It was very hard to believe. You could've convinced anyone it was a low-miler. All he ever did to the engine was replace the plastic timing gear--those are murder in cold Minnesota weather. I drove the car to California in 1978, and my folks made the same trip with it the next year. Absolutely no trouble either time (4,000 miles round trip). What a road car! Dad sold it locally in '79 and the new owner loved it. Unfortunately, it met with a severe hail storm which broke out all the windows, and it was sent to the salvage yard. frown.gif But it had an interesting life! grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Speaking of digging up old photographs- I found these photos of my old 1972 Electra 225 Custom that I did not even know I had. These were taken in the summer of 2001.

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did those clear floor mats come from?? </div></div>

Hi Adam... I think those were just some I bought at Wal-Mart to place over the original Buick floormats- that were still almost like new....

More photos to follow.....

• 11 years later...

I recently bot this one, 48k survivor, I wasn't sure if I did the rite thing, paying 16k with eBay dealer - flipper undeclared rust. But I just drove it to Detroit and Ohio, A/C blows cold and she drove great. Shame to put on 3,000 miles, but they need to be driven and enjoyed! Now if I could get the cruise to work!? Mostly factory original paint except LF fender, mint mint mint original interior

0915161833-800x450.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160915_184027147-1024x576.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160915_183913967-1024x576.jpg

0914161459a-800x450.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160903_002409144-1024x576.jpg

0901160957-1024x576.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160827_184954520-1280x720.jpg

0820161253a-1024x576.jpg

0819161607-1024x576.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160824_193336481-1024x576.jpg

0824162044-1024x1820.jpg

0825160943-1024x576.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_160824_134852860-1024x576-1024x576.jpg

Edited by CORVAIRWILD (see edit history)