Project '66 Wildcat

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, today I went out to the garage in about -22 C (about -8 F), windy, snowing to attempt to take off the front bumper. The intent was to get it straightened and rechromed. I was trying to get it off early enough so I could get a calendar from the place that does the chroming as they have good calendars with old cars cool.gif Anyway, of the bumper bolts I was working on, I was able to get one started and the other didn't budge...lying on my back with snow blowing on my face, I decided to give up. I did however take a few photographs of this project. Some of you will have seen photos a couple weeks back of it on a flatdeck. If you recall that post, my goal is to have it ready to drive down to Rochester in 2006.

I purchased this car in the fall of 1993 from a wrecking yard - if you don't count them, I am the third owner. The car was basically complete and had been driven onto the lot...they bent the front bumper towing it out of the yard to my place. For the complete story, check out my web page in my signature.

Front end shot...sorry for the poor photo between the dark garage and the snow, it isn't great...I wonder if it would be better at night with just the flash for lighting.

wc_front5.JPG

Now the messy engine compartment. The car does run...it was pretty rough, but I put in new plugs and wires and it was much improved. As Philippe noted, the car does have AC...it was sold originally in Saskatoon and the summers can get pretty hot (40 C / 104 F) and with a black vinyl top and interior, it's pretty much necessary.

wc_engine8.JPG

Now for the interior...we've been discussing Canadian interiors on another thread...I don't think this one is anything special, but it'll be nice someday.

wc_rearseat1.JPG

The front seat.

wc_frontseat2.JPG

And the dash.

wc_driverdash3.JPG

I'll try to keep you all updated on the appropriate forum as to the progress.

Guest imported_Thriller

Philippe,

It is colder than -30 out here and I don't have a photo of the data plate, so I won't be taking a photo until I return from the holidays and it warms up. Yes, it is an Oshawa built car. It is also an early Wildcat, so it has the script lettering on the quarter panel instead of the individual letters. Here is a scan of what I got from GM Canada vintage services -

66_Wildcat_GM_documentation.jpg

As you can see, the engine and body ID numbers are different.

For any '66 aficionados out there, note the different name for the blue colour - code F is called Marina Blue Metallic on the Canadian car but was Blue Mist Poly for American cars (according to my Ditzler paint chart).

The colors had different names on Canadian 65's too. I'm wondering why? Mine is Tuxedo black instead of Regal black.

I didn't know that cars produced as late as December 9 1965 still had the Wildcat script. I thought that the block letters replaced them earlier.

Do you know if there were 66 Wildcat Gran Sport models produced in Canada?

Guest imported_Thriller

Sorry for the delay...visited in-laws for Christmas. I don't know anything about where Wildcat GS's were produced. I have been debating turning this one into a GS clone though. cool.gif