My Buicks

Philippe Racicot

Hi, I'm 27 and I have owned Buicks since I was 15.

In the past I had a 1968 Wildcat Custom 4dr. Hardtop, a 1976 Electra Limited Landau Custom and a 1991 Park Avenue Ultra. And many parts cars...

I currently have a 1965 Wildcat 4 door hardtop 46639, a 1967 Riviera GS 49487, a 1974 Le Sabre 2 door hardtop 4BN57 and a 75 Electra Limited 4CX39.

Philippe, thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. You are fortunate to have a number of beautiful collector Buicks. I especially enjoyed seeing the interior of your '65 Wildcat. Am I correct in remembering that this interior was produced only for the Canadian marketplace?

Yes, you are correct, a similar interior was also found in the 66 models. They had the same model number as U.S.-built Wildcat Custom models (46639). The seat itself and it's material are the same as on the 65 Electra 225 Custom but with different pattern and the door panels are similar to those of the base Electra model with added hinged door pulls. I found identical door pulls in the 64 Oldsmobile 98 LS model. The Canadian Wildcat pillared sedans had the same interior trim and had 46669 model numbers. I have pics from a 66 Wildcat sedan that I found in a junkyard with a similar interior. I haven't found production information about the 46669 models and I think that the usual sources for production records do not count any Canadian Wildcats (or Canadian Buicks). I'd think that there were more than 100000 65 Wildcats built instead of the 98737 number we are used to see.

66 Wildcats were also supposed to be less popular than the 67 models but since there wasn't a big difference between the two years (and I also think the 66 Wildcats built in Oshawa were not counted), there would be more 66 Wildcats made than 67's. 1966 was the last year they produced LeSabres and Wildcats in Canada, Also because of the auto pact. After that, it was possible to "trade" Skylarks for full size cars and not pay duties...

The two door Wildcats that were produced in Canada had the same interior trim as the U.S. Custom models but had standard automatic transmissions, bucket seats and consoles. Even the tach was supposed to be "regular equipment" according to the sales litterature. It might be true since all the Canadian 65 Wildcats 2 doors and convertibles I have seen had a tach.

I haven't found why these were different from the U.S. models but my guess it that since the Electra and Riviera models were imported and taxed (before the auto pact), the Wildcat 4 doors were made more Electra-like and the two doors more Riviera-like by upgrading their equipment level. There were no base or deluxe models made in Canada. I have recently seen a Canadian 66 Wildcat convertible on Ebay and it had a Custom notchback seat, no buckets. Maybe that was because the 66 Riviera did come with a standard bench seat?

These are only my suppositions since I wasn't able to find anything that explains the differences

689665_Wildcat_Canadian_Interior.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Interesting info Philippe. My '66 Wildcat Custom is a Canadian car, but has a black vinyl interior. I think it has a split bench in the front and a fold down seat back in the rear. I don't think there is a tach.

All these suppositions and it is just across the alley...sad. Oh well, I'll see it again soon as I want to take the front bumper off this weekend so I can take it to a shop Monday to get straightened and rechromed.

Guest 70 Electra

Phillipe & Centurion,

Since I grew up in Ontario, I found the discussion of unique Canadian interiors quite interesting. I have found a similar situation with 1960 Buicks. For example, my father's 1960 LeSabre coupe had an interior that was virtually indentical to the U.S. Invicta.

I had never realized that this situation extended to other model years. Your discussion of unique Canadian interiors on 1965 Buicks is also of interest to me, as Dad bought a new Canadian-built 1965 LeSabre 4-door sedan in Sept. of 1964. I remember the interior well, but am not familiar enough with 1965 models to tell you if it was the same as U.S. versions or not. I will have to dig-up a (U.S.) 65 brochure and see if our LeSabre's interior looks like the U.S. version.

I'd like to hear more on this subject, but didn't want to step on your thread about your great Buick collection. Therefore I placed a new posting about "unique Canadian interiors" on the Tech/Restoration section. (We've got so many headings to choose from now, but that seemed the best match.)

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your 66 Wildcat a 2 door? What's it's model number?</div></div>

Yes, it is a Custom 2 door hardtop - 46667. The photo in the link of the brochure has me thinking...it might be bucket seats. I'll take the camera out there either tomorrow (+1) or on the weekend (something like -22 for Saturday) and try to get a few shots.

The few photos I have are here - Derek's Wildcat Page

I'm planning to write an article for Canadian Classics and Performance for their occasional To Be Continued... series about cars that are undergoing restoration so I need to take some photos anyway.

Guest Electramanrob

Thanks for posting your pictures of the 75 Limited!! I enjoyed seeing the rare air bag option and unusual color combo. Nice to see I'm not the only one out there in the BCA under 40 who appreciates the 70s Electras!

1973 Electra Limited 4dr

1975 Electra Limited Park Avenue 4dr

1976 Electra Limited 4dr (leather/center console)

1976 Electra Limited Park Avenue 4dr

this is my winter beater, I bought it in november 2003 from a 23 years old guy who didn't want to repair the transmission that was slipping. The car was driving in reverse only! I removed the transmission, had it rebuilt and the car was back on the road! I replaced the 65-67 Buick remote mirror that was on it with the correct mirror from my 76 Electra parts car. I added to it a (color-matching!) rallye steering wheel that I removed from a SkyHawk a few years ago, a set of chrome plated wheels, a n.o.s. rear defogger, and a 1983 Park Avenue AM-FM 8 track radio.

It would still need a repaint and new bumpers but it's a great car to drive!

The previous owner fabricated homemade bumper fillers in aluminium. They were ugly so I wanted to order reproductions. I changed my mind when I saw they would cost as much as ther car did! I fabricated better ones with aluminium and fiberglass, from 30 feet away, they look fine!

689674_LeSabre_interior.jpg

689674_LeSabre.jpg

Here is my frst car, a 68 Wildcat Custom 4 door h.t.

I got it when I was 15 in october 1992 a few days after someone refused to sell me his 1975 Park Avenue that had the rare air bags option and after I saw a 65 Wildcat that needed too many repairs... This car had no a/c bt had many other options like AM-FM stereo, tilt steering, cruise, power antenna, seat, windows, rear defogger, vacuum power locks and trunk. It also had a 3.42 posi rear axle which isn't common on a 4 door! I had an accident with it in february 2000 and it went to the junkyard after I saved many parts from it and after the insurance gave me over 5000$ for it. Not bad for a car that I paid less than 700$! It's original color was medium teal with a black top but the previous owner had it repainted dark brown. It didn't look too good with the blue interior! I removed the vinyl top and had it repainted dark blue. It looked better when it wasn't so dirty but I don't have better picures of it.

68wildcatb1zj.jpg

68wildcatc5hu.jpg

68wildcatd9qf.jpg

68wildcata0ow.jpg

68wildcat30rf.jpg

This is my 67 Riviera GS, it replaced my 68 Wildcat in 2000.

It has A Custom interior with a console, disc brakes, cruise control, power seat, windows, door locks and trunk, manual a/c, Am-Fm stereo radio with a power antenna, cornering lights, four note horns, a rear defogger, GS package and fast ratio steering.

I went to Flint with it for the centennial with friends who also have a 67 Riviera. We had a great time there!

I had it repainted at my Buick dealer last year, they made a great job!

689667_Riviera_GS_3.jpg

689667_Riviera_GS_2.jpg

689667_Riviera_GS_interior.jpg

This is my 65 Wildcat, I first saw this car for sale when I was 15 years old in September 1992 but it was in very sad shape. It had a faded metallic gray paint, cracked bondo from an earlier accident repair on the rear passenger side door, the original vinyl top was falling in pieces and the interior was in terrible shape. The car was sitting outside on wooden blocks with no battery in it and looked like it was good for the junkyard. The owner asked 1000$ for it but I wouldn't have wanted it for free!

A few years later, a new owner repaired the body and repainted it in light green metallic, he had it inspected for safety and the Wildcat was back on the road... I have seen it for sale another time but the devastated interior, missing chrome trim cheap paint fading again and unpainted roof (they planned to put another vinyl top on it I suppose) kept me from buying it! Last year, a good friend of mine saw it for sale on a web site and contacted the seller about it. He didn't know that I had interest in this car a few years ago and that I had seen it a few times over the years. He bought it as he wanted an inexpensive car to drive in winter. We quickly repaired the body and repainted it again back to it's original color so it wouldn't look as terrible. Since the car wasn't stored in the best conditions and it wasn't driven more than 2000 miles in the last 15 years, I seriously doubted about it's reliability in Quebec's winters. Once we repaired a few electrical problems, replaced the heater core and the broken directionnal lever, it was back on the street by the end of January 2004. Unlike what I expected, it was quite reliable for the rest of the winter but my friend got tired to put 200$ of gas every week to go to work as he had to drive it in traffic almost 4 hours a day! And the interior of the car was still ugly: there was no headliner, the seats weren't redone and the dash pad was still cracked! When he bought a newer car, he offered me this one! I had the seats redone with the original material and I found a nice 65 Electra dashpad for 20$ in a junkyard, I also installed an headliner and a package tray.

I also got a n.o.s. passenger side fender for it and will repaint the whole car as soon as I have the time.

It's still very far from being a show car but it's a very enjoyable car to drive and all it's accessories still work, even the clock keeps time!

689665_Wildcat_front_1.jpg

689665_Wildcat_rear_1.jpg

68961965_Buick_Wildcat_dash.jpg

689665_Buick_Wildcat_door_panel.jpg

68961965_Buick_Wildcat_engine.jpg

6896Canadian_transmissions.jpg

6896Canadian_colors.jpg

689665_Canadian_Buicks.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Phil- your cars are super. I do not know how I missed your post here before, but this is the first time I have seen this, as well as the first time I have seen good views of your Buicks. All are very nice cars. That color on your Electra is a very cool color. Is that an emerald green? Is it factory color? Not many this color- which makes it unique. The airbag option makes it even more unique. Your Riviera is stunning. It has been a while since I have seen on in that excellent shape. There was one here locally at the cruise a couple of years ago, but it was a different color. I really like the speedometer in these cars. Your 65' Wildcat is a stunning car. It is in really great shape as well. You are lucky to have all of these fine Buicks.

Your 68' Wildcat reminds me of what was "almost" one of my first cars around that same time era. Being close to your age- I turned 16 in March of 1992 and was really wanting a car of my own. Most kids in the early 90s were not into big cars of the 60s and 70s, but I did not like the new cars during that time- at that time. Ironically, I like some now of that era and now many younger folks like the old big cars of the 60s and 70s.

I had found a 1968 LeSabre Custom 4dr sedan I really wanted, but when we inspected it, it had obviously been in a flood. The interior had severe mildew and mold, as well as an extremely musty smell- we passed. A few weeks later In early 1992), my dad "suprised" me with a blue 1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It was my first "official" car, registered in my name, because my "other" first cars were a 1976 Lincoln Town Car and a 1973 Plymouth Valiant, but I was 14 when my dad bought me these, so they were registered in his name. He drove the Lincoln, so I think he just said it was mine. LOL. I never had the Cadillac in good enough running shape to drive it (it had a bad valve), so I traded it for a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88 4dr sedan- which turned out even worse. I sold it a few years ago for $75. LOL. After that I went through two more old cars- the 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, & the 1971 Oldsmobile Toronado. After that- it was all newer, smaller cars, until I regained interest in the old tanks- then I bought my 1971 Caprice in 2000 (now sold), then my 72 Electra in 2001 (now sold), then my 69 Caprice in September of 2004 and then my 73 Grand Ville a couple of months ago. Also- I too had a 1992 Park Avenue.

To this day- the 72' Cadillac resides in a old junk yard, about a mile from my house, where it has been setting since 1992. It was driven out there, but was very low on power. It is actually just over a couple of hills out of my front window. grin.gif It was in good shape otherwise, but now it has set and ruined beyond repair, or else I would buy it back and save it.

The 68 Wildcat you mention sounds like it was a very interesting car- lacking A/C, but having all of those options, but I guess in Canada- it was not that unusual. I think the 68 LeSabre that was down here was loaded as well if I recall. I do remember it having automatic A/C, power windows, locks, tilt, FM radio, vinyl top, power brakes/steering, but I think it lacked cruise.

Thanks for your comments! I repainted my Electra last year but it is the original color (verde mist).

The 65 Wildcat has been for sale in my region quite a few times. the first time I went to look at it was in September 1992, one month before I bought the Wildcat, it was in very rough shape so I didn't buy it. It still isn't in very good cosmetical condition as I did a very cheap paint job last year on it for a friend of mine who bought it. The previous owner painted it light green and it was ugly when my friend bought it as a winter beater (see attachment!). Now it's back to it's original color. Last spring, he gave the car to me as it needed some mechanical repairs and the interior was in really bad shape. I had the seats redone, I changed the dashpad and repaired what was wrong and it's now a very fun to drive and reliable car!

I have bought a N.O.S. front fender for it on Ebay and I plan to repaint it next year, I will try to make it better than it is, it shouldn't be too hard! The body isn't in very bad condition for a Canadian car but it has a few accident repairs and body filler in many places. The doors are probably the parts that will need the most attention.

I also plan to replace it's hubcaps with Buick dog dish caps that I have bought on Ebay, I had a hard time finding the correct clips to hold them to the wheels.

The LeSabre is my winter beater. I got it for cheap in 2003 and it looks bad but it's body and interior are still in decent shape. It's total lack of power accessories helps it being more reliable. I'll also try to repaint it as soon as I have time!

The Riv's engine is presently pulled out of it for major repairs. I had it rebuilt it two years ago but the shop who did it didn't do it correctly.

My local Buick dealer repainted it last year and they did a great job.

The next thing it will need is a new vinyl top... when my budget will allow it!

Philippe,

The '65 Wildcat dash is a real time-warp for me, identical to the one in my '65 Electra except for the (real) wood trim that it had. Nice options yours has, including FM and AC. That car is interesting. I suppose it has the 401? I like how you've kept at the restoration over time while still using the car. That's the way to do it, I think.

Great Buicks! And aren't they wonderful in the winter? Always start, always quick heat. Good cars for the Great White North, and their neighbors slightly to the south (actually, Minnesota is north of quite a bit of eastern Canada). -54 F in Embarass, MN last week. grin.gif

-54? I have never seen cold temperatures like that. It rarely goes below -30°F here, but the humidity and wind chill factors often makes -10° feel like it's -30°F, cold enough for me!

My 65 is now stored for winter but I have driven it last winter while it belonged to a friend and it was just as fun to drive in the snow as my 74 LeSabre is.

I'd like if Buick would make similar cars presently. Their size, full frame, hardtop roofs, V8 engines, recirculating ball direction and rear wheel drive is exactly what I like about them! I had a 91 Park Avenue Ultra that was still in great shape but it lacked all of these features... It was supposed to be my daily driver but it stayed for weeks in the driveway! I sold it for cheap to my father when I got the Wildcat and I don't regret it!

Neither my 74 LeSabre or the 65 Wildcat have A/C, it was a rare option here.

The options the Wildcat has are back-up lights, power steering and brakes, remote outside mirror and day night mirror, power antenna, power trunk, 6 way power seat, power windows, rear defroster, Electro-Cruise, an AM-FM radio and a block heater. Additional standard equipment on 65 Wildcats that were built in Canada includes upgrade trim that is similar to the U.S. Electra Custom's interior (in the Wildcat pillared sedan and hardtop sedan), a clock, a trunk light and courtesy lights, a lighter mounted at the back of the front seat and automatic transmission.

I plan to install A/C in the Wildcat if I can find all the required parts. It also lacks tinted glass and I wish I'll find some for it at the same time.

There are a lot of parts that need to be replaced to correctly install factory A/C on a 65.

I won't make it a show car but it will be at least a clean driver! I used the Wildcat almost everyday this summer until the last day of October, I'll remove it from it's storage as soon as the snow melts!

Philippe,

That's why they call it Embarass! It holds the state record of -60 F. What an embarassment! It may be a record for the entire lower 48 states. It's extremely northern, just south of the Ontario border. Looking back at your dash pic, I am embarassed that I thought it showed AC. Hope you get that Rive going soon. Very nice car.

• 3 months later...

Here are new pics of my Wildcat. I replaced the full wheelcovers with poverty caps from a 65 LeSabre. These were not available on 65 Wildcats (at least not on those that were built in Canada), but 20 years ago, I have seen a 67 Wildcat coupe that had the same hubcaps and body-colored rims (red). The main reason why I replaced mine is that they were often falling in curves. These stay on, no matter how fast I turn!

6896Photo-287.jpg

6896Photo-290.jpg

6896000_1166.jpg

6896000_1165.jpg

6896000_1186-med.jpg

6896000_1185-med.jpg

6896000_1170.jpg

6896000_1169.jpg

• 11 months later...

The newest addition to my Wildcat is power vent windows.

dscf0326l1bn.jpg

dscf0332l2ws.jpg

This is how it used to be.

00003367fx.jpg

I used the passenger side switch from a 65 Electra with power windows and used it for the power vent as it had the same part number.

dscf0323ll3ak.jpg

To find the correct switch for the driver side, I used this information from a canadian Buick parts book

00008802sw.jpg

Then, I searched for this part number on internet and found that the same switch was used on 63-67 Corvettes so I ordered a brand new one on eBay.

dscf0322ll1qs.jpg

The wiring for the driver side switch was the same as the power window switch in my 76 Electra parts car so I used it. I got used motors on eBay for 53$. They needed new gears but instead of buying new ones, I had the old ones welded and it was much cheaper. They work like new ones now!(note that the crank window holes were still there when I filmed this, I had the door panels redone the next morning)

dscf0320small1fn.gif

• 2 years later...

Philippe,

The new wheels really look great but then I may be biased as my 65 Wildcat custom convertable has the original wheels like those now on your car.

Those center caps are are one off for 65 and are highly sought after.

Your Cat is looking mighty fine now, congrats.

I had just two original center caps, one of them was had a cracked lens so I didn't use it.

For the 3 others, I used almost identical caps from 1971 and newer Buicks and I removed the "Buick motor division" lenses that were already cracked. I had a few spare '65 Wildcat wheelcovers and I grinded their plastic emblems so they would fit in the center caps. The one in the large picture is one of them. It looks better than the original one as the red paint on it is less faded. The '65 wheelcovers had recessed emblems, I think it helped preserving the red color from the direct sunlight.

And the wheels I used are the '66-'67 wheels. I got 4 mismatched wheels last week in a flea market. 3 of them were '66-67 wheels and the other wheel happened to be the correct style for my '67 with disc brakes (mid-67 to 1970). I took it as it's in really nice condition and even the back isn't rusted.

I already had a '67 wheel from a Riviera with drum brakes and I used the 3 other wheels from that set which are identical. Their webs are a bit darker than those of the '65 but I don't care much about that! To fit the '65 caps in these wheels, I bought a 5$ exhaust pipe adapter which had 2 1/8" outer diameter and 2" inner diameter. I welded the pipe inside the wheel and I grinded out the excess outside. I reused "slices" of the same tube to do the other wheels.

Interesting solution to the problem of the different center openings, I must remember that one.

The centers came up well, I was planning to do the same one day and have the ingredients just need to make the time.

What did you use to grind them down as they can be fragile?

Something like a Dremel?

To grind the plastic lenses for the caps, I used a small air-powered grinder and a cutting wheel that's similar to a Dremel (but it cuts faster). The plastic was already cracked on the outer part (which I didn't need) of the 3 medaillons that I used and one of them was almost cracked through the center section . I was also wondering if the crack would go further or if the grinder would damage the center part or chip it but it didn't happen. The diameter had to be trimmed down slightly so it would fit inside the center cap and I made 4 notches like those that were in the "BUICK MOTOR DIVISION" lenses so they would fit in the cap. After that, I glued the springs with an epoxy similar to this product http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore....ty--647211.aspx and it seems to have done the job. To be sure it would hold to the center cap. I grinded the inside part of the cap to make a small ridge. I applied a thin coat of it all around the cap where I had grinded it and on the recessed section of the springs.

About the wheels,

I inserted the exhaust tube in the center cap opening from the rear of the wheel and I hammered it with a hard wood piece that was just small enough to pass through the centering ring until the exhaust pipe was flush with the inside of the hole. Then, I welded the tube in the inside part of the rim with a mig welder and I used the same small grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the exhaust tube almost flush with the outside surface. I finally used a large grinder grind it flush with the rim. It took just a few minutes to do all four wheels.