53 chrysler 6-12 volt ?

Guest lenh22

I have a 53 Chrysler New Yorker T&C wagon. My delema is I will be towing a camp trailer that is 12 volt neg. ground and installing a afermarket air conditioner, and radio. All of the drive train is orig. with 331 hemi and fluid drive 6 volt generator with the power steering built onto the generator. Can anyone help with ways to accomplish this. I do not want to change the trailer to 6 volt.

• 4 weeks later...

This is no problem. I did this on my 1952 Dodge. Leave the 6 volt positive ground system untouched. Find a small 12 volt alternator (I used a delco with internal regulator, one wire hookup). Fabricate a few brackets to mount the altenator to the engine and line up the drive belt. (I mounted it under the 6 volt generator so that it would not be to obvious and ran it off the same belt). Find a spot and mount the 12 volt battery (I located mine in a corner of the trunk in a battery box. Run a heavy wire from the 12 volt battery positive to the alternator (always use fuse). Ground the battery and the alternator (yes you can use 6 volt positive and 12 volt negative grounds). Mount a fuse box near the battery and wire in the 12 volt accessories. Two separate systems, no problems.