connecting Ipod to radio

Guest waxbgone

Guest waxbgone

I just bought my third 1990 white convertible, and I'm looking forward to retiring #2 in the spring. I love playing my Ipod through the radio, but the "cassette-in-the-tape-player" and the "FM transmitter" methods are a bunch of excess wires and don't work very well. I want to keep the original look of the dashboard, and the original radio, but I want to put a small jack somewhere to plug in my Ipod. The car does not have the CD player, so I would think there is a connector somewhere on the side of the radio that could be connected to the jack to input the Ipod signal into the radio. Anyone know how?

Guest F14CRAZY

In my 1993 Ford Explorer Limited, I bought a hardwired FM modulator from ebay. About a $20 item and $20 well spent. It's one of those things where they all come from the same factory in Taiwan. In the case of a Reatta it would be easiest to wire it up where the power antenna is since you have both the antenna line and power. It needs just a little to power itself. The one I have has two positions and it's on 89.1. I've never ever had any static problems and the quality is decent. It also has a remote wired power switch in case 89.1 FM is a usable station. No problems leaving it on all the time though (mine's in with an ignition on only circuit, AKA the radio power wire). The modulator has a white and red RCA type jack and all yall need is a common RCA to headphone jack cord.

The modulator is something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32831&item=5737313132&rd=1

Lemme know if you have any troubles or questions.

The TransPod is a lighter-mounted iPod cradle/FM transmitter that puts your iPod easily in reach and has no wires to plug in that I use in all my cars except my '89 Reatta. The '88 and '89 model's 110 Volt inverter(s) utilized to illuminate the touch switches introduce a great deal of interferance. On a '90 or '91 it could be just what you are looking for.