Post deleted by Peter Gariepy (peterg)

Marv,

I bought 750x20 tires for my fire truck at Hershey this year (and the looks that I got from others while taking them back to my truck were priceless too). I had priced the tires and found them cheaper elsewhere, BUT the problem I had was that the savings wasn't that significant, they had to order the tires, and once they came in I owned them. Coker didn't have the tires I needed in stock, but Universal had them on site, so they got the sale.

I paid a little more to buy the tires from Universal, but I saw exactly what I was paying for versus ordering something, paying for it up front, and not knowing what I was getting until it was too late. I'm not saying that my method was the best way, but this is something that you may want to think about before you spent that kind of money.

I will add that the only tires that I could find in the size that I needed came under the "Denman" brand name. Being that my truck was built on a Ford chassis, I wanted to go with either Firestone or Goodyear, but the only thing that any of the tire dealers had that would fit my truck was Denman.

If you choose to purchase your truck tires locally, your best bet would be to get in contact with someone who owns or operates a trucking company who buys truck tires in large quantities on a regular basis. They would have the contacts with the various vendors and should be able to get you a better price on tires based on the volume of business that they do. In my case, my dad runs the highway department where they have five 10-wheeler dump trucks, and the savings for me to buy tires through the vendor that he deals with was less than $100.

If you don't want to pay shipping and you can wait, you might choose to find out when Coker or Universal will be at one of the shows, call them up, and make arrangements to pick them up at a show that they're going to be at. That way you can see what you're paying for instead of taking the chance of getting something that isn't right. GOOD LUCK!!