fliud drive service question

Guest leadsled1953

Guest leadsled1953

well i got the 10wt nd oil in egg harbor of all places.i changed the transmission oil.now my question is about draining and refilling the fluid drive converter.how do you turn it ?do you use a bar and turn it by hand or do you bump it around using the starter?how do you know when its at 6 oclock for draining.?any tips or help would be great.all the service manuals i have say nothing about this.thanks

I'm not a big expert on this, but since you haven't had a reply, I'll at least tell you what I know about the '47 Fluid Drive (without the aid of my shop manual, which I don't have with me).

The '47 style has an access plate on the passenger floorboard. You should be able to use the starter to "bump" the converter until the drain plug lines up with the access hole (if that's how yours is set up). After you remove the plug, continue bumping it around until you hear (or somebody else can see) oil pouring straight into your drip pan under the car.

(As far as I know, you really only need the access hole to FILL the unit. You could just take the plug out from below when you hit the 6 o'clock position to drain it, unless there's some kind of obstruction.)

After it's drained, use the starter to move the drain hole back around to line up with the access opening, put in your choice of fluid (LOTS of controversy over what works best) until it starts coming out the hole. Replace the plug and the access panel and you're good to go.

Various fluids I have seen recommended:

ISO #134 Tractor Fluid (hydraulic fluid)

10W non-detergent motor oil

Dexron III Trans Fluid

F-Type Trans Fluid

These are roughly in order of popularity and vehemence with which people have defended them.

The Hydraulic Fluid is said to have superior anti-foaming, and no additives that damage seals. The 10W motor oil has no additives to damage seals either, but it does not have anti-foaming properties, if these are important. Additives in transmission fluids are said to cause leaks due to their intended "seal-softening" properties, although I've heard tell that some don't do this.

Maybe you're lucky and by '53 Mopar had a definite idea what you could put in, besides their proprietary "Fluid Drive Fluid" which is, of course, no longer made.

When I change mine, I think I'm going with the ISO #134 Tractor Fluid.

What kinda car ya got there? I thought your question referred to a '53, but it sounds like you're talking 1950. Is it a Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, DeSoto? Your reference to putting 10 weight oil in the transmission indicates it's one of the "auto-shift" style trannys. The '47 Dodge I'm working on has a straight 3-speed trans with dry plate clutch, hooked up to a simple fluid drive (no torque multiplication). If your service manual calls for "Mopar Fluid Drive Fluid" that's the same stuff that people are trying to match with 134 Hydraulic fluid and the other various liquids I listed.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

You should be able to rotate the fluid drive unit by hand...there is NO direct way for the oil to go once you have reached the 6 o'clock position..it is rather messy and you need a large pan to be sure the oil is not all over your floor. I have 10W non detergent in mine and have no problems at all. I hesitate to use anything else.

Once drained, you can again rotate it back up to 12 o'clock and fill..should take about 8 quarts if memory serves me...but either way it has to be filled to the top.

Guest leadsled1953

sorry not to give all the info.its a 1950 desoto deluxe.i guess the best way to turn it is a small bar.this weekend i 'll take care of it.then all got is the rear end fluid.the car still has the tires put on it in 1955[i have the receipt]and has only 34000 miles .it spent alot of time sitting in garages before i got it

Guest leadsled1953

i 'll post a pic of it .i have the history from 1-19-50 to me.it came from the desoto dealer in earling iowa[the owner of the dealership is the first owner of the car]then it his wife had it .the it went to the next town in iowa from there to the daughter of that person[she was in NJ]then i got it in NY[where she moved]i was riding by and it was outside the garage .

Guest leadsled1953

i just ordered the seals for the rear.i figure since i'm having the brakes done in a week i want the rear wheel bearings repacked .