1936 chrysler airstream

jaxhome

I am about to purchase a streetrod 36 chrysler airstream that is chopped 2 inches. At least the current owner was told it's a chrysler. The wheelbase on it is 115 inches, rather than 118 or 121 which is normal for 36 chryslers. This was possibly shortened when the last owner changed the angle of the trunk. It's a two door sedan with a trunkback. Did chryslers have trunkbacks in 36? I think it's a dodge. Dodges had wheelbases of 116 inches that year and had trunkbacks. The last owner swears it's a chrysler. Any pros out there that can help? The motor is a small block chevy so that's no help. Please don't suggest emblems or tags. There's none to be found. The car is 3 hours from here so any suggestions to look at, I have to forward to the current owner. Anyone with a pic of a two door sedan trunkback for a 36 chrysler would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jax [color:\\"red\\"]

Guest carlnut50

The 1936 Chrysler has a 2 piece vee windshield similar to a 36 Chevy.The 36 Dodge has a flat 1 piece windshield like a Ford and Plymouth.Also,originally the Chrysler and Desoto wiper arms are at the bottom of the glass because it don't hinge open.Dodge Plym wiper is at the top to allow the windshield to hinge open for additional ventilation.Hope this helps.

The current owner looked for me. Even though there is no windshield because of the chop, he says it definitely comes to a point in the center on the roof and the bottom of where the windshield goes. Plus the holes for the wipers are at the bottom. I guess that makes it a Chrysler. Thanks for the advice. I have an encyclopedia of Amer Cars and it doesn't list a two door sedan for 36. It does list touring brougham 5 passenger. Could that be it? Jax