1931 CD8 cylinder head info needed

I have a 1931 CD8 early model 240 c.i. engine with a very minor crack in the head. I also have a NOS aluminum head that looks like the right size but I can't find a cross reference to the part number on it which is 675144. I have no clue if this head will would work, but maybe someone out there does.

Thanks, Les

Les...According to "the Chrysler Master Parts list for all models prior to 1934; there were three heads listed. Up to engine # CD-11532 (silver dome) part No.310234, up to engine # CD-11532 (red head) part No.310235, and after #CD-11532, (silver dome) part No. 320949. It does not talk about whether these are interchangable. I hope this has been some help.

Harry, thanks for the reply. Based on what you noted it appears the aluminum head I have will not work. I am going to remove the head next week and I can then do a close comparison of the two. I know the outside dimensions are the same but the original is thicker than the aluminum. If the original does not turn out to be worse than it appears I plan to have it repaired (welded).

I am curious as to what the aluminum head will fit. Any info on that would be helpful - it could help out another Chrysler engine somewhere.

Thanks for your research and feedback.

Les

• 3 weeks later...

As an update to this item... I did remove the head and indeed the NOS aluminum head I have will not fit it - water holes, cylinder chamber, etc. differences. So it must fit a newer engine since mine is the early production run of the CD8 engines. If someone is interested in this aluminum head I have please contact me.

I am interested in a finding a correct replacement head for my CD8. If anyone has one or a lead on whom may have one I would appreciate you having them contact me. The only numbers I find on the one I removed are 1-14 on the front, top part of the head. There is a triangle with a NH stamped in it about mid-section of the head, also on the top. The engine number is CD-7270. It is the 240 cu. in. version of this engine.

Thanks for your help and interest.

Les EAstling

Guest imported_sherwoodk

Lee: The early head is very difficult to find. What exactly is wrong with it? Cracks can be repaired. I am also interested in your aluminum head. I have an early series CD8 roadster. Sincerely,

Sherwood Kahlenberg

Sherwood - my CD8 is also an early model roadster. As for the head - it has a minor crack on the top of the head. It was fixed once long ago (more than 40 years to my direct knowledge.) It has been there for some time and it will leak after running long enough to get engine temp up to good norm range. The leak is only noticeable after shutting down the engine and after it cools a few drops will appear on the head top - sometimes enough to run over into a spark plug hole or over the side of the head. I doubt if it is more than a teaspoon of fluid. I removed the head and can see no cracks on the inside block mating surfaces. So, I do plan on having it repaired.

As for my aluminum head - I don't see how it would fit your early model CD8 if it is the same series engine as mine - the 240 cu. in. Please see my earlier notes about the aluminum head and the part number on it.

Thanks,

Les Eastling