Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

Centurion

Orange County Buick.

Note the Buick logo on the right of the sign.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]173721[/ATTACH]

I know this pic- this is Orange County NY, and the fire trucks further locates it: Middletown NY.

Today, same shot :

post-30731-14314187318_thumb.jpg

O.C. Buick was there at least thru '54, I have a newspaper ad on the wall of my shop for it.

• 4 months later...

With all the prior mentioned and shown dealer ships you almost forget there were dealers overseas as well:

A Buick/Pontiac dealer in France at the start of WW2 in Europe (so the Renault(?) tank wasn´t a trade in :D ):

BuickGarageGRenelFranceWW2_zps4ca85d46.jpg

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jerry Courson

I have an article in process for publication in the Bugle on a Buick dealership in the Finger Lakes of New York. Bennett Brothers Buick was build shortly after World War I and is still owned and operated by the Bennett family (now 3rd generation). The article has lots of pictures of the building and the cars.

• 2 months later...

This was various Buick dealerships over the years. I remember going there when it was Murphy Buick in 59 or 60 with my great aunt in her 58 Opel Rekord

post-100613-143142579946_thumb.jpg

It had one time been Howard Motors who I think is Charles Howard - the owner of Seabiscuit who made his fortune selling Buicks in San Francisco and I would assume elsewhere in the Bay Area.

The building was designed by Benard Maybeck and torn down in 1972.

Here's an earlier photo

Packard%27s%20Building%20on%20the%20water%20in%20Oakland.jpg

Maybeck also designed a nearby Cadillac dealership building that currently is a Whole Foods Market

post-100613-143142579957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cz10 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Added this Kodak slide to my Flickr album this evening.

The dealership is to the left out of picture. I believe that is a strip mall across the street to the right.

Circa: Early 1950's

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117891934@N07/with/15363884292/

15363884292_18f36bd3ac_b.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Pulling this one back up to share a link to some wonderful circa 1948  images of the Mueller-Hawkings Motor Co. found in the Tacoma Public Library image archives. Be sure and peruse all 5 pages.

http://search.tacomapubliclibrary.org/images/dt6n.asp?pg=1&krequest=subjects+contains+Mueller-Harkins+Motor+Co.+and+Tacoma+&stemming=&phonic=&fuzzy=&maxfiles=

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Came here looking for an old post about Buick signs that included pictures of a Buick Dealership Sign catalog. Pretty sure it was posted by Brian Laurance/Centurian.  Flipped through rather quickly and did not find it. Brian or anybody else, do you have this and care to share it again or direct me to a source for it.

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Came here looking for an old post about Buick signs that included pictures of a Buick Dealership Sign catalog. Pretty sure it was posted by Brian Laurance/Centurian.  Flipped through rather quickly and did not find it. Brian or anybody else, do you have this and care to share it again or direct me to a source for it.

I have a reproduction from the 1940's, but I have never posted it.

5 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I have a Dealer signage catalog from 1951 in entirety. what do you need

What do I need? That 40's sign hanging in your garage would do.  I was just wanting to peruse through all the "Approved" Buick Dealer signs of pre 1960. How big is this catalog you have Brian. Can it be scanned.

2 hours ago, 1953mack said:

This might be a start to what you are looking for from 2005.

http://forums.aaca.org/gallery/image/5457-1948-buick-dealership-sign-catalog/?browse=1

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

That's the One I have.

Lamar, Do you need anything from it?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Having seen a few nice and not before posted dealership photo's in the many recently started photo threads, just wanted to bring this thread back up in hopes more will use it to post their dealership finds.

Here is one of my favorites of an early dealership. Note the Goodyear Service Station painted sign. Look familiar @wndsofchng06?

Can anyone date this basedon the year of Buicks in front

buick1.jpg

• Like 4

Nevermind @wndsofchng06 I forgot, the sign I was referring to above was the sign that was still wrapped in a blanket and we loaded and unloaded into the back of the pickup at Hershey about forty- eleven times. Here’s a picture of it before it got wrapped. Can’t wait to mount on the Buick Sales and Service. 

3132F9EC-79BB-4C18-BE21-763739A88B5D.jpeg

• Like 2