Fluid-Torque Drive

Our 1951 New Yorker has the Fluid-Torque option. In high range when cold, it downshifts to 3rd at a stop, as expected. When fully warm, however, the downshift occurs only if the clutch is depressed. With the torque converter and big 331 engine, a 4th-gear start is fine for city driving (compare the Hy-Drive tranny on the 1954 Plymouth). Is it possible this is actually a designed-in feature rather than a malfunction? The original Owner's Manual makes no mention of it.

Ron R.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

It sounds to me like the kickdown switch is not working properly...I have that problem in my De Soto. There is a set of points in the kickdown switch and they may need to be filed and the mechanism greased. The car should always downshift to low range at a stop without using the clutch. It makes it easier to take off!! I ordered a new one off of Ebay.

New guy here.

Green as grass on these Chryslers.

So my 53 New Yorker does the same thing.

So is the kick down switch that you are talking about on the carb or the side of the transmission next to the solenoid?

John

Lost in the jungle and wont down shift.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

The item on the carb is the soleniod switch...I am referring to the switch on the side of the transmission that you access through the panel on the passenger side of the car on the engine hump. You have to lift the floormat to get at it.