1928 chrysler 72 wheelbase

I have just bought my second 72 in England. First one was U.S. import left hand drive, with wheelbase approx 118 inches.

second 72 is right hand drive car first registered in UK august 1928. Presumably a CKD manufactured at Kew and parts imported via Canada. original UK log book quotes engine No J226526 (which matches engine in car) "chassis type letter & No" CH 470 S this would appear to match FEDCO No. but is not on badge on dash, as it is on the US car. The second car has wheelbase approx 110 inches. about 8inches shorter????.

Can anyone explain this.

Having just read about Martin Swigs book Chryslers in competition in europe in 1920s. I should be interested in getting a copy, is it easily available.?

Greetings,

For 1928 Chryslers(US cars), the Standard Catalog of Chrysler published by Krause Publications of Iola, WI gives the following information.

Series 52: 4-cylinder, 170.3 cubic inches, wheelbase 106 inches FEDCO numbers; HW000P to HL685L

Series 62: 6-cylinder, 180.2 cubic inches, wheelbase 108.75 inches FEDCO numbers: LW000P to LS101C

Series 72: 6 cylinder, 248.9 cubic inches, wheelbase 118.75 inches FEDCO numbers; CW000P to CR838L

Series 80(Imperial): 6 cylinder 309.3 cubic inches, wheelbase 136 inches. FEDCO numbers; EP000P to EP315C

These FEDCO numbers are for US built cars. I have a Chrysler Master Parts Book which translates the letters as follows: The letters W,P,C,H,R,Y,S,L,E,D refer to the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

I hope this helps. Have no idea what versions were sold in England or what names were given to them.

The book you refer to "Chrysler in Competition, European Road Racing 1925 to 1931" by Ray Jones & Martin Swig may still be available from Automobilia, 1701 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94109 Phone(415-292-2700) FAX(415-292-2790) These numbers are about 4 years old. I have a copy of the book so if you're unable to obtain one, I could make a Xerox copy and send it to you.

Bill Groskopf

Libertyville, IL USA

PS: Would you by chance be Bill Stiles? I met him at Chickasha last spring and we have exchanged some e-mails

Guest imported_Bill-W

Your second Chrysler 72 is actually from Detroit - Windsor-built Chrysler 72 serial numbers start with "J" (JW000P to JW256P).

The serial number is also stamped on the car's chassis frame. It is usually on the top side of the frame at the front (somewhere alomg side the engine compartment) or at the rear just by the front hangar for the rear spring.

Just out of curiosity, what is the serial number on the other 72?

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Unfortunately Martin Swig sold his Chrysler dealership in San Francisco some years ago and the wonderful book store in the building called "Automobilia" closed. Today he can be reached through his organization The California Mille:

http://www.californiamille.com/

I'm planing visit his garage soon (I've called a few times but our schedules didn't line up) after I do, I'll see if I can figure out how to post pictures here. He ran three pre-war Chryslers at Monterey this year.

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Yes Bill G I did meet you at Chickasha. hope you and your chrysler are doing well.

I can't see a number on the chassis, but the rust has been painted over.

Do we know why the second one has shorter wheelbase and why it was apparently manufactured in US with right hand drive. Could it have been one the first right hand drives. I had understood that imports to the UK were all assembled at Kew, but presumably they must have done the conversion in US first.

Incidently it as plaques all over the body saying manufactured by Fisher detroit job No 7890 body No 1543.

The left hand drive Chrysler has engine No J215942 Fedco No CC 362 P.

All I know about it is that it was imported to Uk about 3/4years ago. It does

have a red head (cast on head). They are both 2str Coupe with rumble seat.

They both have tubular front axles and the same dashboards. The Left hand drive one has a tube across the chassis at the back, and the right hand drive has a curved casting that covers the fuel tank.

does this help at all.

Very interesting... Could the shorter wheel base be a series 60 or 62, or a hybrid manufactured for the export market? I own a "72" with Fedco # CH574W. The number appears to be "72" on your car;however, if you could give an exact wheelbase length, it might help in tracing down just what you have.

Acording to the "Sandard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1990" third edition; the wheel base of the '28,"62" is 108.75"; although, according to "Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990 and "70 Years of Chrysler" the wheelbase is 109"? There is reference to a Kew and Wimbleton models as early as 1933, which are hybrids built for the English market. You may have an early hybrid.