51 windsor hubcap info needed

I believe that I have the original 15 inch rims on my 1951 Chrysler Windsor. I have purchased 4 original 15 inch chrysler hubcaps on ebay. They are not embossed with chrysler, but are sort of a moon design. They don't quite fit. The rims have an inset groove which I believe the spring tabs of the hubcap should properly mate with. The hubcap can be nearly installed yet pops off as you attempt to seat it 100%. Obviously the hubcaps are wrong for the year of car. How many types of full hubcaps were there for 15 inch rims in and around 1951? Would they be embossed with " chrysler"?

thanks, Richard

Guest imported_BaronvonR

By 1951 all Chrysler cars had full wheelcovers. They should have the Chrysler script, the New Yorkers had enamelled medallions, etc. The more expensive the car the more elaborate the wheelcovers.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard: We have a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker, and the hubcaps are (presumably) the same moon design as yours, with no Chrysler name. The enameled medallion type mentioned by "BaronvonR" were used only on the Imperial, and I believe these were the only two styles available in 1951-52.

I assume the "inset groove" you mention is the larger-diameter part of the wheel just inside the outermost portion, and it is too far in to be contacted by the hubcap. The cap should seat entirely in the outer area.

It sounds like you have all the right parts, and just need persistence in mating the two. (Push firmly on the center of the cap with one hand, and work the edges in with the other fist or a rubber mallet.) If you succeed, be grateful they're tight! My front caps are too loose and tend to slip and twist the valve stems.

Good luck! Ron R.